Thread: Public apology to Carter and Son Toolworks

Public apology to Carter and Son Toolworks

I would like to apologize to Carter and Son Toolworks. I received their "Free Stuff" tools more than a month ago and have not acknowledged or had a chance to write an appropriate thank you and review. I had to deal with a very bad flu and then jumped right into major project in our new house...and frankly lost track of time. Having been the guy who ran the Free Stuff program here at SMC I really feel embarrassed for not showing my appreciation for these wonderful tools sooner.

For those who have forgotten...here is the list...

Premium Woodturning Set Includes:

5/8" Bowl gouge: Incredibly strong and sharp, our 5/8" Bowl Gouge offers an enhanced bowl turning experience. Made of M42 High Speed Steel, the tool has a razor edge for clean cuts. The swooped fingernail grind prevents catching and ensures smooth cuts. Graced by a solid aluminum handle, the tool is sturdy and you will enjoy easy maneuverability. The specific shape of the handle is designed to fit your hand for comfort. Made in the USA.

7/8" roughing gouge: Manufactured from solid 7/8" diameter stock, the roughing gouge is a powerful tool. Made more versatile and extremely strong due to its slightly deeper 'U' shape, the roughing gouge can turn through incredible amounts of material and is optimum for your next roughing project. The 16" handle gives you a secure grip and reduces chatter. Precision machined, hand-polished and pre-sharpened. Made in the USA.

1/2" spindle gouge: Complete with a razor edge and solid 12" aircraft-grade aluminum handle, our 1/2" Spindle Gouge is sharp and sturdy. M42 High Speed Steel ensures that this feisty wood turning tool will cut for hours with an incredibly sharp edge. Precision machined, hand-polished and pre-sharpened. Made in the USA.

Because I consider myself a novice turner and it will take some time to put these tools to a real test...I will only comment on these tools as an old machinist.

The first thing you will notice is the weight of the tools. Yes...the handles are aluminum but of a grade that adds significant heft to the feel and balance. Mediating chatter is the result.

Next...something that is very unusual these days...they come as sharp as only a experienced machinist would except for use. If you do choose to buy...be careful. They will bite you if you are not careful. That shine on the cutting surface should be taken seriously.

A closer look at the machining indicates that the working tool end is machined from solid stock that they indicate is "M42 high speed steel" then "heat-treated to 68 HRC and triple tempered". Looking at the machining skill and finish...I have absolutely no doubt that they use nothing but the best.

The double set screws holding the tool in the handle...the polished finish...the light double knurl on the handle...the size and weight...makes these tools stand out above all the others I've gotten my hands on. Brings back some old school pride.

Please give these tools a look on their website...look at the video reviews...and if you are in the market or just want to add an extremely well designed and manufactured Made in America tool... IMHO you won't go wrong.

Thank you http://carterandsontoolworks.com/ for supporting SMC...and thank you for your gift.

Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 03-11-2016 at 9:32 AM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan