Thread: Generic magnetic hold down

Generic magnetic hold down

Not trying to be cheap (ok I actually am) but are there cheaper versions of these magnetic hold downs? I have a bunch of uses for them but at $25 a pop I can't really justify it.

http://www.rockler.com/magswitch-mag...FVAjgQodWlsGmA

Not exactly the same, but I use Harbor Freight switchable dial indicator hold downs against the back side of my fence when I may be putting extra pressure on it. I think they are still less than $10, and really strong.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Well, Nathan, you got me looking into those Magswitches, and now I want them. I looked them up, saw the Rockler video, and I am convinced it is a pretty good deal.

Thanks to the guys on the laser forum, I ordered nine neodymium magnets from KJmagnetics.com to hold down warped panels in my laser - four N42 magnets @ $12.00 each, and five N52's for 18 bucks each (67 lbs pull for 1/2" x 1/2" x 2"). So for the 29 bucks of a Magswitch, with the same amount of pull, but in a convenient hold down design, its a pretty good deal.

However, I realized that I always use the N52's in my laser, and not really using the N42's (same but with less power), so my plan is to epoxy two of those N42's into a board for use as a cove making hold down fence on the T-saw, and for the drill press. The only drawback, is that I have to pry the board off the cast iron table, rather than switch them.

SO that would be a cheaper solution - buy sets of N42's at 12 bucks each (plenty of hold down power direct to steel). Maybe figure a way to mount them on a hinge to lever them off the steel table to move whatever jig you use them in (featherboard, fence, etc)
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    I use 150# non switchable magnets from Princess Auto here in Canada for just about everything, they are the size of a small Hershey bar and have a good size handle, I think I paid around $10 when they were on sale. I cover the base with blue tape to protect the saw table or whatever it is I'm using them on. I also have 2 magswitch that I use much less.

Home Depot sells a Magswitch featherboard (in orange and branded Ridgid) for $32. See http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Ma...word=magswitch Not usually seen in stores.
    If you're willing to McGiver them into some other installation, you get two switchable magnets for $16 each.

BobV