Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

14 Mar 2016

Good Morning Everyone,
    Sorry this is late but after the severe weather we had late yesterday afternoon and evening, I've been preoccupied. We got hit by lightening and due to my experiences historically with this type of stuff I spent a lot of time tracking down what, when, where, and how of all electrical components and such in my home. I'm sure that I'll have it all sorted out and a "hit list" will be completed today. I'm just glad I can tether a computer to my phone.

This is short I know, but I have the day job to do as well as trying to get things back in order at home. Service tech's showing up today at the house for repairs and replacement.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

"Busy as a bee" weekend here...I helped Professor Dr. SWMBO get her initial bee hive painted, panted the foundation for the hives and also put a non-wood base together for the bottom of the hive to reduce potential for moisture damage. I also put an additional coat of finish on my buffet project and will get it into the house this week or next weekend, depending on time available. Some additional puttering around and errands took up the rest of the weekend.

And I survived the first weekend of my younger daughter having her driver's license. I suspect she put on quite a few miles. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Built, then rebuilt, a drawer for my drill press cabinet. I built the cabinet about 10 years ago or so, without any drawers. I've since concluded that perhaps a drawer would be handy, as I'm getting tired of wood dust everywhere. So I took a baltic birch (1/2") tray from a built in I did years ago for a friend, a tray which was subsequently replaced with trays with higher sides, and cut it up into pieces for the drawer box, then assembled the box using pocket screws. I mounted some of the simple euro slides inside the cabinet, and then things got interesting. When measuring, I had measured the depth of the cabinet, and the width of the opening. It turns out the cabinet sides had about 1/16" of setback behind the face frame, so my drawer box wasn't wide enough. Fortunately, I had not glued the box, so I took it apart, found some more BB scrap, and made a new front and back of the drawer. A second problem I had was actually getting the drawer into the opening. With Euro slides, you have to cock the back of the drawer up to get the drawer side wheels over the cabinet side wheels, and there wasn't sufficient clearance to do so. So I had to cut the drawer sides down in order to allow clearance. Finally, the matter of installing the drawer slides on the cabinet side was a nuisance. Nonetheless, I muddled through, ending up finally with a drawer box that fit correctly, with appropriate setback to account for the false front.

In keeping with the rest of the cabinet, the false front is maple ply with purpleheart edging. Everything used in this little project, with the exception of the drawer slides themselves, is offcuts/repurposed material. Such was the case with the DP cabinet when originally built as well. I'll be putting some finish on the drawer eventually, and replacing the handle.

DP Drawer 1.jpgDP Drawer 2.jpg

After I was done with the drawer, I set about rebuilding the base of my old workbench. The base will be rebuilt so the bench can straddle the motorcycle lift, which is the gray beast behind it with a chair on it.
    Old Bench 1.jpgOld Bench 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Didn't think I'd ever be thankful for more rain, but I was able to take advantage of the weekend wind and rain to finish the milling and sizing of the frame pieces for my cherry (frame) and fir (panel) bookcase. I'm doing the layout and joinery this week in hopes that I can assemble and glue the body over the coming weekend.

ForumRunner_20160314_134233.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 03-14-2016 at 4:49 PM.