Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SawStop Dado question (recommendation)

Question SawStop Dado question (recommendation)

So....I got my SS.....but finding out they do not recommend 8" dados with full blade chippers.....what should I use? What do you use?
    Thanks
    Ray

I have a SS but never used a dado set in it. I'll be interested to see what you find out.

But one good way to get SS answers is to call SS. They're very responsive.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I called SS regarding my Oslun dado stack few years ago and they said they don't recommend it using as full stack. But I only need to use it as 3/8" so I used it anyways and it's no problem at all. I use my dado stack in conjunction with the Wixey DRO so I never used as full stack. I later got a Dewalt DW7670 dado stack from Amazon when it was on sale for less than $90 and this set does not have full blade chippers.
    Mike

What is the problem, too much mass?
    Cutting a dado doesn't seem particularly dangerous as long as it runs.

I use a Freud D208 8" stack, never had any problems (you will need a dado cartridge and a dado insert). Not sure what a "full blade chipper' is, though I have seen sets where the outer blades look more like a normal saw blade. This set has 2 twelve tooth outer blades and 3 two wing chippers, along with a few spacers to dial in widths.

My recollection without looking is that Sawstop doesn't recommend the "dialer" dado set-ups. I have a Frued 8" set coupled with the dato cartridge and get along fine. Frankly, I love the Freud dado set.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    What is the problem, too much mass?
    Cutting a dado doesn't seem particularly dangerous as long as it runs.
    Maybe it has to do with whether the brake can stop the dado set fast enough. If too much mass, it may not stop it quick enough.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Right, its a weight issue that causes the concern. Nothing in the 3HP PCS manual about the types of chippers, just the instructions to use the right cartridge and insert. Where did you see this info? I run a Freud SD-508 and a CMT that strongly resembles a Freud SD-308 and a DeWalt 7670. None of these use full plate chippers. I'm not saying this is right or best; its just what I do.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-15-2016 at 8:30 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

i have used freud 8" dado set with all widths - never heard of the warning you are mentioning - using a different table insert and different brake - but never had a problem.
    jerry
    jerry

Blog Entries
    I've been using the Forest 8" dado's for 4 years with zero issues so far.
    You need the special Sawstop brake cartridge for 8-inch dado sets. They are wider and support the 8 inch diameter blades/cutters vise 10" typical saw blades.

The manual recommends against them because the brake may not be able to stop them quickly enough to prevent injury. it won't hurt the saw to use them. I use a Freud Superdado.

Thanks for your replies...yes...double checked with SS support (which is OUTSTANDING) BTW) full blade chippers are NOT recommended ( example is Avenger AV-84206 Stack dado set) It is the mass and most likely would cause arbor damage if the cartridge is tripped...They also do not recommend any blade with anti kick-back bumps (such as Freud LU87R010 has). It seems it takes about a half blade rotation EXTRA to stop cause those bumps prevent the teeth from digging into the pawl. NOTE: The blade examples given are MINE not SawStops. Just trying to show an example of the TYPE of blades they are talking about. I asked the Tech I spoke with what blade he uses and it was Dewalt DW7670....SS does not offer any recommendations

Forrest Dado King here.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Seward View Post
    Thanks for your replies...yes...double checked with SS support (which is OUTSTANDING) BTW) full blade chippers are NOT recommended ( example is Avenger AV-84206 Stack dado set) It is the mass and most likely would cause arbor damage if the cartridge is tripped...They also do not recommend any blade with anti kick-back bumps (such as Freud LU87R010 has). It seems it takes about a half blade rotation EXTRA to stop cause those bumps prevent the teeth from digging into the pawl. NOTE: The blade examples given are MINE not SawStops. Just trying to show an example of the TYPE of blades they are talking about. I asked the Tech I spoke with what blade he uses and it was Dewalt DW7670....SS does not offer any recommendations
    You always have the option to disengage the saftey cartridge for dado cuts.

Blog Entries
    I have found the Saw Stop folks to be very conscientious but, wonder if this is an employees opinion or an actual company recommendation(?). It is probably not bad advice but, I find it interesting that Tech Support would have this opinion yet, it does not appear in the manual. Not arguing the point, just sayin' . What model were you discussing?
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-15-2016 at 8:39 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler