Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any way to make a dovetail with a router and no table?

Millersburg (Holmes County - Amish Country) Ohio

Any way to make a dovetail with a router and no table?

I want to use a router, probably a trim router and a dovetail bit.

How would you do it if you didn't have a router table? You would be holding the router on top.

There's got to be some sort of jig for this?

Google "dovetail jig". There's lots of them.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Ca...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

There's also a lot of videos on it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sommers View Post
    probably a trim router and a dovetail bit.
    You can probably get by with that going slow and careful, but it is kind of a big cut with a long bit for a trim router.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    You can probably get by with that going slow and careful, but it is kind of a big cut with a long bit for a trim router.
    I think that is a disaster in the making. The question tells me the [OP] doesn't have much ww'ing experience.

Brian, you've already gotten excellent advice...there are TONS of jigs out there for doing exactly what you want. Your next question is bound to be:

Which is the best dovetail jig? LOL My first question would be: What is the project...tell us what you want to build and we can go from there.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Dovetail jigs for routers always operate without a table, with the router on top. You'll want to re-think using a trim router though - these little routers are handy for trimming and edge routing, but are not really suited to deep joinery cuts. Especially with a long bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Javed Akhtar View Post
    Dovetail jigs for routers always operate without a table, with the router on top.
    Not true; there are several that work with tables. I have a Leigh and find it much easier than the router on top.

You'll want to re-think using a trim router though - these little routers are handy for trimming and edge routing, but are not really suited to deep joinery cuts. Especially with a long bit.
    That's true for sure.

Ah, I stand corrected. I'm mostly a hand-cut dovetail guy, so my experience with jigs is somewhat limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Not true; there are several that work with tables. I have a Leigh and find it much easier than the router on top.

That's true for sure.

I'm an extreme newbie. I've been doing this for only two months. I have a Dewalt 618PK. I'll just use that.

I'm seriously contemplating sawing by hand. However one Lie Nelson dovetail saw is almost as much as that jig.

Ill be be making decorative boxes. Small side tables with drawers.

Don't worry about the saw. At the College of the Redwoods, the dovetail saw of choice is from Zona (less than $10 from a hobby store) and the folks there have been known to pump out decent pieces of furniture from time to time.

Now I see that there is a pro version of the jig for another $50... anyone have the comparison of the two?

Blog Entries
    I'm an extreme newbie. I've been doing this for only two months. I have a Dewalt 618PK. I'll just use that.

I'm seriously contemplating sawing by hand. However one Lie Nelson dovetail saw is almost as much as that jig.

The LN dovetail saw does much more than cut dovetails. The first quality saw I purchased was one. It opened my eyes about what saws could do.

I have a Leigh jig that has not been used for years, more than five. I don't remember the last time I used it.

OBTW, quality saws have a way of multiplying. If you buy one, you will end up with 5 or 6 or 7 . . . . . .

Dovetails can be cut fine with a less expensive saw. Good dovetails can be cut with a little practice and you will have a new skill instead of a new router and jig , much better. Practice standard joints first not the fancy ones with tiny pins or those " London style " it really doesn't take a lot of practice. Handcut dovetails are perfect joints for small drawers.
    Bill
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

You can do them on the bandsaw too. Or a mix of power and hand tools.
    I have a Peachtree jig for the router (which I prefer), and trim router just will not allow you to extend the bit far enough to cut as deep as you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Javed Akhtar View Post
    Ah, I stand corrected. I'm mostly a hand-cut dovetail guy, so my experience with jigs is somewhat limited.
    Hand cut is really not that hard, and is a nice skill to have.