Thread: Finishing on the lathe

Finishing on the lathe

There is a discussion on another forum about finishing your pieces while still on the lathe. I use a high gloss varnish finish on most all my vessels & I apply the finish on the lathe.
    So how do you all apply finish to your pieces?
    Here's a cell phone pic of a vessel I just applied a coat of finish to today.
    IMG_20160317_173641906_HDR.jpg

Wow Joe,
    That is awesome.
    We all do it different.
    The old saying goes, Ask 10 different turners and get 10 different answers.

Joe, that finish looks amazing! Do you mind telling us specifically what you are using? Thank you

I do all my vases and bowls just like you did except I use lacquer. All I need to do after I cut them off the glueblock is sand it and sign it.

I turn, sand and finish on the lathe ... all in one continuous process. Just because I finish on the lathe doesn't mean that I get results as nice as yours. Beautiful finish.

That's just OUCH nice Joe. Inspiring......
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Thanks Thomas. I use Helmsmans Spar Urethane. No rubing or buffing required.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas prusak View Post
    Joe, that finish looks amazing! Do you mind telling us specifically what you are using? Thank you

Just wondering, why do you finish on he lathe? Just to hold and turn the piece easily by hand, or do you rotate slowly with the lathe while the finish cures?

A gentleman at our club built a very slowly variable-speed device for such finishing. I think he uses it in a finishing booth.

JKJ

John I finish on the lathe because I can get a high quality finish that way. When done I don't have to rub out or buff anything. I can get a glass smooth right off the brush. I apply with the lathe running some where between 24 & 30 rpm.

Finishing the lacquer with wet sanding sponges, buffing compounds and waxing/buffing are all easier to do while on the lathe.