Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Introduction & Shop Tour

Introduction & Shop Tour

I just wanted to introduce myself and give you a shop tour...

First, a little about me. Although I've been working with wood ever since my dad gave me a junior-sized hammer and hand saw for my 5th birthday, all of my woodworking experiences until recent weeks have been of the general carpentry variety. I've always spent a great deal of my free time engaged in a never-ending progression of projects to improve the various houses that I've lived in over the years. But I've aspired to pursue fine woodworking ever since getting hooked on watching the New Yankee Workshop in the 1980's. Alas, circumstances forced me to put this dream on the back burner for a couple of decades and feed my woodworking interests by reading the written works of masters like Nakashima, Krenov, Maloof, & Frid.

At long last, I began putting together my first woodworking shop a few months ago. My spiffy new shop occupies around 900 square feet of our basement. Since I was starting from scratch in equipping the shop with the large tools, I tried to buy the best that I could afford AND schlep through a 32" door and down a flight of stairs. I would have preferred to wait to post pictures of my shop after I had a chance to get better organized and build some storage cabinets. But I was beginning to feel pretty guilty about learning so much from the posts of others on SMC over the last several months while neglecting to make any contributions of my own to this forum.<O:p</O:p

So here’s the 10 cent tour of the shop:
    <O:p</O:p
    • At the time I ordered, the Dust Gorilla was a new offering and it seemed like there was a good chance I would not get one with a Baldor motor. Didn’t want to risk getting an import motor and I liked the bigger filter on their older models better, so I went with the 2HP Commercial unit. I attached the steel bracket that Oneida </FONT></ST1:pprovided to wood blocks with lag screws and some homemade rubber vibration damping mounts. The wood brackets are then mounted to the wall with concrete anchor bolts. All of the ductwork is hung from the ceiling by lightweight chain. Although the fan and motor run pretty smoothly, this method of mounting the cyclone and ductwork eliminates virtually all vibration transmission to the rest of the house. I have the pump for the Bag Gripper accessory mounted on the wood block, but still have to wire it, and install the plumbing.<O:p</O:p
    • When I opened the shipping crate for the TSS, I had to chuckle. The abundance of “LAGUNA” decals plastered on the saw cabinet and fence reminded me of a 1979 Pontiac TransAm. Fortunately the saw has proven to be anything but laughable overall. The TSS is a great saw. It was a chore to move into the basement. I was able to navigate it through the 32” basement door by stripping the door opening back to the studs, and removing the tables and leveling feet from the saw. It just barely slipped through the opening when it was flipped on its side, with the switch box facing up. Now that I’ve had a chance to use it for a few weeks, my only gripe is with the crosscut fence. It just wasn’t engineered for precision work. I’ll have to come up with a better alternative to the factory fence. I purchased an Excalibur ceiling mount blade guard for the saw. Since this model doesn’t come with a mounting bracket, I’ll have to build one. Minor quibbles aside, this is a really sweet saw. Plows through 8/4 maple with nary a hiccup. Rip fence is robust and true. Slider runs smoothly. Riving knife and scoring blade are great to have. Dust collection is effective. Fit and finish are very good.<O:p</O:p
    • What is there to say about the Laguna LT18 that hasn’t already been said? It was a tossup between it and the MM16. Both are nice. I liked the ceramic guides better, so the sale went to Laguna.<O:p</O:p
    • I’m happy with the Rojek jointer/planer, also. Moving it down the stairs was a chore (550 lbs. and wasn’t practical to partially disassemble to reduce weight), but well worth the hassle. Being able to face joint a 12” board is a luxury that I won’t soon take for granted. The finish of the tool is mediocre, but the tool is well built. Chip collection is surprisingly effective.<O:p</O:p
    • I joined the Festool MFT club, too. It makes for a very practical first workbench. At some point, I’d like to get another MFT to make a bigger work surface. As you can see, I have some space left over in the shop. That will change over time. My wish list is long!<O:p</O:p
    • You’re still reading? Didn’t figure anyone would get this far…
    Well friends, thanks for looking!<O:p</O:p

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (92.7 KB, 1125 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (68.5 KB, 1155 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (72.3 KB, 1121 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (81.8 KB, 1136 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.JPG (77.7 KB, 1108 views)

Well, that's a pretty solid start into the hobby side of woodworking. Looks like you got lots of things in the shop to make, like workbench, shelves and cabinets.

Your builder must be the same one as my last house, the heater and water heater are in different locations.
    Jim

Fine. Just come on here and make me jealous right from the start!

Dan, looks like you're off to a great start...much better than me for sure. Nice looking shop space, and sweet tools you've got in it.

A hearty welcome to the Creek, and we look forward to seeing the output from some of those fine tools soon.

- Vaughn

Not too shabby, Don! Great space and very good tools to make it messy!! Congrats on the new shop and welcome to SMC!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Welcome

Dan,
    Glad to have you here at the creek. That's some nice equipment! I am amazed you got some of that heavy equipment down to your basement shop. I too have a basement shop and I always take size and weight into account when purchasing tools. I just bought a Laguna LT 14se. I would have liked something bigger like yours but I wanted to save my back Looks like a great shop in the works!

Dave

Dan, (fellow Cheesehead! ) welcome to SMC! Having cruised around for some time, I guess I don't need to tell you what a super place this is and, I see you have the picture thing down right off the bat. Good job! Speaking of "good", you have one heckuva' good start to a top notch shop! I think you done right by going for the higher end equipment right off the get-go. Too many of us, myself included, purchased a lot of stuff to "get by with", only to end up getting upgrades no too long afterward! Way to go! Keep us posted with shop and project progress.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Dan, welcome to SMC! You certainaly have some top notch equipment in a great sized shop but it is far too clean! Even when my shop was brand new, it wasn't nearly as clean as yours.

Do you have a layout plan of the shop that you could share with us?

Welcome to SMC. WOW, a very nice space and some awesome equipment. Looks like you have lots of projects to complete your shop with cabs, benches and such. Have fun!

Corey

That's a great looking shop, Dan! I doubt that you'll quickly be looking at upgrades for those tools.

I'm interested in more details about you ended up with the Rojeck combo. I'm looking to purchase a 12" jointer/planer in the near future.
    Jay

Well, you got the talking and "looking good" part done... Now lets see what that shop can do! Next time we see this shop there better be plenty of dust on the floor and some scratches on those pretty machines... ~;}..
    Welcome to the Creek, I think you'll like it here.
    It is easier to be imperfect and plan for it, than to try to be perfect and swear at it.

Dan,

Whoa.... come on in with a bang. No way am I going to post pics of my 'lil ole shop with your thread shinning like that

Hey, welcome aboard and look forward to swaping knowledge with ya. Looks like you have what it takes in there.

Dan---Looks like a great setup: fine tools and lots of room. Welcome to the Creek, you will find it a friendly and helpful place to hangout.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

WELCOME to SMC Dan......Wade on in, get your feet wet, enjoy the water, share what you know, and learn all you can. Great place here with a LOT of wonderful people.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

welcome nice shop!!!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

hi dan

welcome to the creek. we like pictures here and so you are off to a good start. it looks like you have a very nice shop with some great tools. what type of furniture do you like to build?

best wishes
    lou