Thread: 3520B will not run

3520B will not run

Just got it a couple weeks ago turned a bowl yesterday and started another today shut it off to move tool rest and not NOTHING, the VFD shows an F range from 0 to like 200 but motor does not run any suggestions?

New lathe or used? Have you unplugged the lathe and let it sit for 10 minutes? Sometimes that will reset the VFD.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Sam,
    The resistance break in your 3520 is not "the best" and the lathe will kick itself into some sort of a "safety" mode if you allow an unbalanced workpiece to freewheel after you stop the lathe. As Steve suggested, unplug the lathe and let it reset itself. This could take a few minutes so don't be in a rush to turn it back on. Meanwhile, if you are turning an unbalanced piece get it round before attempting to shut down. If you must shut down, slow the lathe with the speed control before shutting down the power. Slowing the lathe down prior to shutting it off is a good habit to get into it. Doing and so may save you from turning on the machine and getting a nasty surprise. I hope this is the problem since it is an easy fix.

Thanks guys, it is a used lathe with minimal use I have unplugged it for over an hour with no result the piece was a small segmented bowl when it stopped and was not out of balance the bowl blank yesterday was definitely out of balance but the lathe ran fine this morning and was running around 1100 rpm

Sam, there is a reset button on your VFD. With power applied, press and hold the reset button for a few seconds. You should see some sort of indication that the unit reset in the small window. Give it a try again.

Next option to check is your on/off switch. With the lathe being used and not new, it is highly possible that sawdust got into the switch. Vacuum or if possible use a compressor to blow the dust out of the switch. Make sure all power has been removed before doing so.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I tried the reset several times to no avail, I bypassed the remote switch and it now works that is a easy fix but the lathe only has about 100 hours of use it should not have gone bad that quick
    Thanks for everyone's help Sam

I've had my 3520B do that several times in a year I have had it since new. I have done everything the guys suggested and it has worked. Out of balance doesn't cause it and it is very annoying. I get it to start hitting reset and run after unplugging it. I wouldn't buy another. I think they have a problem.

You wouldn't buy another PM? or another remote?

Check your on/off switch, the contacts may be dirty. The frequency changing on the VFD makes me think that it is getting a speed signal and is not tripped on a fault; it may not be getting a run signal.

Sam I have some problems with mine not working. I had the habit of just slapping the on/off switch and it wouldn't start. I blew out the switch and try to remember not to slap it and it hasn't stopped working for quite a while. The switch is really dinky.
    Fred

If I remember there was a problem with dust getting in the remote switch and needing blown out on occasion. Some people were putting a ziploc bag over switch to keep dust out.

Bob