Thread: Best plywood for Hutches

Best plywood for Hutches

Hello!

I'm building two matching hutches for my wife. With the exception of the top surface of the bottom half which will be Walnut, I'm planning on constructing the cases out of 3/4" Finish grade plywood. However, I started thinking that if she is going to paint these(except the Walnut of course!), Do I really need the $40/sheet finish grade product, or could I sneak away with the $30/sheet "sanded" variety?

Finish = http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sande-Ply...4559/100037820

Sanded =http://www.homedepot.com/p/23-32-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-BC-Sanded-Pine-Plywood-166057/100061386

Thanks!

If you don't mind the thin veneer of the sand ply and the voids , that will work. For me it's worth the extra money to buy quality plywood from any place other them the big box store. My local HD has some ok Maple ply.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Gerard View Post
    If you don't mind the thin veneer of the sand ply and the voids , that will work. For me it's worth the extra money to buy quality plywood from any place other them the big box store. My local HD has some ok Maple ply.
    Plus, better quality means less work to achieve much better finish. You are talking about saving maybe $ 30.00, after all.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Blog Entries
    If I was going to build 2 hutches, I would go with the better grade of plywood.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Stay away from the BC plywood, that is not furniture grade stuff. It is construction plywood.
    I would also suggest the Columbia Forest Products PureBond from HD, as it is a domestic product and doesn't contain all that formaldehyde glue that is present in the Chinese stuff. You will also find that when the CFP stuff is cut, it stays flat. Unlike the other stuff that looks like Bobby Hull's sticks after cutting. It will make the assembly process go a whole lot smoother.

"Sande" does not mean that the wood was sanded. Sande is a species of wood and lumber from Central America. I have bought some usable Sande plywood from HD but the exterior is extremely thin and prone to splintering. You are always taking a risk. The external appearance may be good but the interior plies just trash. I once bought a sheet to make some matching painted bookcases. I ripped out the 10 inch sides first and the material just disintegrated before my eyes. Completely rotten wood and gaping voids were buried in the middle so that I couldn't see it from an edge inspection. The material was literally worthless and was returned for a refund. At that point, I decided never again to trust "Sandeply" or Home Depot for premium furniture grade plywood. If you want to take a chance, you may have better luck buying birch veneer plywood there. That is not to be confused with "Baltic Birch" plywood, which can be an expensive premium import.

what about not painting it and using walnut plywood along with solid walnut that your already planning to use. yes it will be more expensive for the walnut plywood but think about the end result.