Thread: Exterior Door Finish

Exterior Door Finish

Hi,
    I have built an exterior door with solid walnut using 8/4 material for rails and stiles with 6/4 material for the inset panels. The door is 42"x96" so it's quite heavy so I'm using four HD ball bearing hinges. It's time for the finish. I have made all my interior passage doors the same as the entry door but smaller of course. I've used two coats of pure tung oil diluted 3/1 with mineral spirits followed by two coats of wax. Can I use the same finish for the exterior door or should I use something like spar varnish? I live in Paso Robles, CA. The climate has relatively high humidity. The door faces northwest and is inset 6 feet so it never is touched by the sun. I also have inlaid 1/8" of black pigmented epoxy in a design on the exterior of the upper inset panel. Would appreciate any advice on the finish.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

Look into Epiphanes. It is the hot ticket among boat owners.

Ace Spar Varnish

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kassler View Post
    Hi,
    I have built an exterior door with solid walnut using 8/4 material for rails and stiles with 6/4 material for the inset panels. The door is 42"x96" so it's quite heavy so I'm using four HD ball bearing hinges. It's time for the finish. I have made all my interior passage doors the same as the entry door but smaller of course. I've used two coats of pure tung oil diluted 3/1 with mineral spirits followed by two coats of wax. Can I use the same finish for the exterior door or should I use something like spar varnish? I live in Paso Robles, CA. The climate has relatively high humidity. The door faces northwest and is inset 6 feet so it never is touched by the sun. I also have inlaid 1/8" of black pigmented epoxy in a design on the exterior of the upper inset panel. Would appreciate any advice on the finish.
    Thanks,
    Bruce
    This is what I actually use on outdoor projects.

Blessings.
    _((( )))_pACE3-12365820enh-z7.jpg

I'm currently finishing my new Mahogany Front door with Epifanes varnish. Never again. They suggest more than five coats with sanding in between. With 48 hours drying time, it's taking forever. Epifanes other product Woodfinish Gloss doesn't require sanding between coats. Maybe next time. Hopefully Scott will jump in and give us some advice.

I recall that there was another thread recently about exterior door finishes, and the General Finishes 450 was pretty highly regarded - moreso than Epifanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    I recall that there was another thread recently about exterior door finishes, and the General Finishes 450 was pretty highly regarded - more so than Epifanes.
    I asked about this last summer. General Finishes was what I decided to use. I was going to recommend it but I only have one year of exposure. I've never used the Epiphanes either. Anyway the summary I got was that EXT 450 lasts 3-5 years per the manufacturer and 7-10 per some users. The marine finishes are really soft, dry slow and don't claim to last longer. So, I went with 450.
    Gary

I would use Epifanes or Waterlox Exterior to finish an exterior door. Walnut is not the most durable exterior wood choice; so, you will need to follow a careful maintenance plan for this door. Every year or two you will need to clean, scuff sand and recoat the door.

Either of these finishes will need only a coat or two for maintenance. General Finishes 450 exterior has gotten good reviews; I have never used it so I can't comment one way or another.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I've used Epifanes on my exterior mahogany door in South Florida. It is difficult to work with. Longevity has been about 2 years thus far, and needs to be redone. But in all fairness, I didn't do an awesome job on the doors.

I've used Exterior 450 on a wood cover for a fire pit table. Direct sunlight and pouring rain (it is a horizontal surface). It lasted about 2 years before needing to be redone. It was very easy to work with, FWIW.

My latest project is a Titanic deck chair which I am using System 3 S-1 Clear Penetrating Epoxy followed by their System Three Marine Spar Varnish. I'm only half way done, and it's been a bear (mainly because of all the irregular surfaces, and constant cleaning of my HVLP setup between coats), but it was recommended to me by a famous finishing expert as being the best finish for extreme UV conditions.

Not sure how much this helps, but I have used both finishes.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.