Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting turning

Interesting turning

Last edited by Michael Weber; 03-24-2016 at 11:51 AM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Colored pencils and black epoxy...I wouldn't even mind turning a small leftover cutoff from those turnings.

Boy, you turners will cut into anything!! LOL

That is pretty darn cool.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

As long as the glue holds up, that would be a fun project to turn...

All I want to know is how to dye the epoxy black. I would love to mess around this and even do a progressive change of color instead of random.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Michael, did you turn this? If you did, how about a few pointers?
    Len

7. Not sure the history of this project, but these same pics were emailed to members of one of the clubs I belong to last week. I would have to go back and see if I saved the email or not to see if somebody else just sent it around as an "interesting project". Or if there was some claim to having turned it.

Edit: Found that email......yep exact same pics. It was sent by a member of our club who submitted it as an "interesting project" the club might want to take on in the skills training sessions. So it looks like this has made its way around the Internet forums.........

There is a turner who shows up at the Virginia Symposium every two years with some of these in the instant gallery section, and they always seem to draw a good bit of interest, so maybe he lives here in Virginia.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-24-2016 at 3:52 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

My guess is the material is costly, but no the less, very nice. Sent it to my Art Teacher daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    All I want to know is how to dye the epoxy black. I would love to mess around this and even do a progressive change of color instead of random.
    You can use sawdust or tanstint dyes or even something as simple as india ink. Be sure to mix up a test batch to ensure everything is okay. You won't need much at all. I mix sawdust into epoxy to fill in loose inclusions or other problem areas. It will then sand and take stain pretty readily. For example, mixing maple flour with glue/epoxy results in a deep chocolate brown color. Using pine flour produces a tannish/yellowish color.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by William Bachtel View Post
    My guess is the material is costly, but no the less, very nice. Sent it to my Art Teacher daughter.
    Yup, looks like at least $12 for a 50-pack. Personally, I'd rather buy lots of 12-packs or 20-packs so that it was easier to configure/mix the colors in a consistent way. There may be a cheaper option, perhaps some cheap set sold at Dollar Tree or Big Lots or something.

Edit: Yup, Dollar Tree sells a 10-pack for $1, at least online.

I saw a demo at the San Diego Wood Turners meeting where someone was "turning" a bunch of plastic straws. The purpose of the demo was to show the importance of the direction you're cutting with respect to end grain. I imagine that when the pencils were turned that it worked better cutting in the direction of the supported wood.

OK... I'm not a turner and I don't claim to know very much about it. However... How do you turn this without the colors streaking all around it? I suppose I could see with a nice sharp tool, but what about when you're sanding?
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Blog Entries
    I tried this once the problem I had was the color coming out when turning the sides. Wasn't a problem turning the top and bottom just the sides. Tried using ca to solid it up but was still a problem.
    May have to try it again looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    You can use sawdust or tanstint dyes or even something as simple as india ink. Be sure to mix up a test batch to ensure everything is okay. You won't need much at all. I mix sawdust into epoxy to fill in loose inclusions or other problem areas. It will then sand and take stain pretty readily. For example, mixing maple flour with glue/epoxy results in a deep chocolate brown color. Using pine flour produces a tannish/yellowish color.

I'm not sure sawdust mixed into the epoxy would best the best in this case. The pencils are painted and the sawdust mixture would be like making a weak glue joint of particle board. Wouldn't make a bowl blank from particle board and try to turn it. I would rough up the paint on the pencile jammed into a plastic cylinder and fill that with straight tinted epoxy. I would use powdered aniline dye.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Could very well be epoxy resin.
    Fit the pencils into a container and pour it over.
    Phillip Moulthorp uses it with some spectacular results.
    http://www.moulthropstudios.com/philip_works.html