Thread: 4x4 machine for 4x8 work

4x4 machine for 4x8 work

I am considering making a 4x4 CNC that I will use occasionally to cut 4x8 material.

The idea is I would just slide the panel through and take a second cut. Is this practical as far as software and matching the cuts is concerned. I make a lot of stuff, the application I see for the 4x8 is boat building. In that case huge efficiencies would arise from doing the cuts on a CNC, But the cuts are mostly just a few shallow arcs per sheet and some dovetails to join pieces. Other than that I can't imagine too many uses that would require me to have a machine larger than 2x3.

Is 4x4 the right option for this kind of thing, would 4x5 be a lot better, and then one gets to the point where one asks what is another 3 feet... The approach I intend to take would not really make it that much harder to expand to a machine that is 4x8 if I decided to go that route.

Expense is really not the major issue here. I will probably order the kit for the 4x8 and just build it to 4x4 as a first step. To get the project moving I have been thinking of a CNC router kits pro gantry over the other kit's rails, apparently that can be done. It's a hobby thing.

Yes, one can index cuts so as to work on stock larger than one’s machine — just have to work up the paths in as many sections as needed and have a way to zero the machine and position the piece in register.

If you have the space and have the money, just go 4x8.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    If you have the space and have the money, just go 4x8.
    I agree.

Most of the major software makers have a tiling option built into their software, Vectric's V-Carve Pro & Aspire do.
    Here's a link to Vectric's tutorial to give you a idea on how it works.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmlVYfkezyE
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney