Thread: Auction includes a lot of hand tools

Auction includes a lot of hand tools

Never been to one of these. Take a look at what is going on the block. Lots and lots of antique planes, shaves, chisels, braces, bits, and much more.

What can I expect to happen? Does one get to inspect ahead of the start? Do they typically auction these items one at a time?

linneburauctions.com/march_26th_auction.htm
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 03-25-2016 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Removed active auction link per TOS

Have only been to a couple and it's been some time since.
    They always had a time set aside prior to the auction for inspection.
    Whether the group the tools or separate them is usually up to the seller.

Good luck and be sure to share the results.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Blog Entries
    I do not think there is one set method. Some of the items may have individual item #s to be sold at individual auctions. Some items may be sold as a lot. Some items may be sold 'one to all' meaning the winning bidder gets to take what they want from a box of similar items for the bid price of each item. If there are any left, the next bidder gets their choice at the same price. Anything that doesn't go may be held for a future auction.

I am sure there are other methods I forgot.

The saws that are bundled together will likely sell together.

There is usually an inspection time before the auction. Bring a note pad to write down the item numbers you are interested in buying.

The write up on this did say there may be two simultaneous auctions. If they do such, they would likely have lists of what will be sold at each auction.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Likely each photo is a lot and will sell as a lot, but they can always break it up and sell individually. You will need to register and usually there is a requirement to give your credit card info up front and they give you a bidder number and a paddle to bid with. At the end of the auction you check out and get a paid receipt and you can pick up your item.

It it will go fast. There should be a preinspection and there will be item or lot numbers for each bid item. Make note of that number and wait for it to come up for bid. It is going to go fast and beware- the auctioneer is good at making you think someone else bid against you and you end up bidding against yourself. Pay attention.

I would bid on those plow planes. You can make some money on eBay and keep the best one for yourself. I would bid on the moulding planes for keepers.

The ones that have me drooling are the big all-wood try and jointer planes.

And I am hoping that in that bunch of iron bench planes that there is a good 4-1/2, and a really good 7.

Oh, and in the chisel pile, I hope I can find a good beveledge 1/4-incher.

It is reported that this collector consigned a huge pile, and that it is going on the block in three parts. This upcoming one is the second, and it said there are three trailer loads of tools to be auctioned. The final auction is a couple of weeks after.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Davis View Post
    Does one get to inspect ahead of the start?

linneburauctions.com/march_26th_auction.htm
    The copy in the link you provided says: "Inspection:2 hrs prior to sale time"

Sometimes if you're interested in something special, and you ask, they will sell if seperate and early.

I've been to one of these, although the collection was smaller. It was a collection from a woodworker/collector that had recently passed. His widow had hired an auction company to liquidate the contents of his workshop. There's usually plenty of time to look at everything prior to the sale starting. Expect bundling of items into lots to speed things along. This can be good or bad, depending on how they bundle. I managed to pick up some Starrett layout tools and a few excellent user planes. Unfortunately, the good planes were bundled with a number of what I considered junk planes. The good news is that the prices were so low I was able to keep the good stuff and give the undesirables back to the auctioneer to take them to the block again. It generated a few more bucks for the old boy's family.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.