Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice Workbench Build

Nice Workbench Build

Caught this on YouTube. It's a nice bench, and the build is well documented. Enjoy.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

That is an incredible workbench build. How did he attach the top to the legs? Would there be problems with wood expansion in the top if it's m&t?

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Jordan View Post
    That is an incredible workbench build. How did he attach the top to the legs? Would there be problems with wood expansion in the top if it's m&t?
    At about the six minute mark, he's gluing up the top and you can see the mortises in the underside at the corners. More like large pockets for the flat tops of the legs to nest in. I'd guess the mass of the top is sufficient to hold it down.

Blog Entries
    Wow thanks for sharing that. It's great to see people going in their own direction with details like pegged tenons and that amazing locking dovetail joint for the sliding deadman.

I was considering using wedged tenons on my bench. This makes me want to do them, and I may have an idea of how to do it on the end caps and also have the dovetail on the edge. Hmmmm.

Here's a video where he goes into more details on construction. It's a very well thought out bench.

Last edited by Rob Luter; 03-27-2016 at 9:11 AM.

Blog Entries
    The samurai carpenter shtick is really goofy, but he does do really good work.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I definitely like the bench, but the process was opposite of where I like to be. He seems to be dressed for a battle with the wood, while I like to hang out with it

Fairly spiffy, even with the overuse of tailed tools. :-P

Though for some reason, the number of times I saw him pushing a chisel toward a body part made me cringe. I'm generally "meh" when it comes to safety. Maybe it's the bourbon.

I do like the non-standard covers on the twin-screw vices. Kind of make me want to do that for my LV one (the LN one I have has all the guts in the moving chop).
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    Though for some reason, the number of times I saw him pushing a chisel toward a body part made me cringe.
    Yes, I saw that and cringed. I learned that lesson the hard way once.

That bench is impressive, beautiful and inspiring, but that fellow is pretty cocky and annoying to listen to. I watched some of his other videos and enjoy watching the work he does, but man is he arrogant!

He showed a great deal of skill in making the bench. It came out extremely nice. My only disagreement is the tool holder down the center. I would think that he would often have to remove the tools if making large projects,or even guitars.

I love building workbenches myself,but by now I just can't lift the heavier components,and I have no handy helper living close to me. Certainly I have NO ROOM left for another bench anyway!

He built his legs similarly to what I did. He terminated his bottom cross piece the same as I did,with the quarter round ends. I guess that is pretty standard,though.

On my bench,I used large double mortise and tenons on the tops and bottoms of my legs. But,for the long runners across the bottom of my bench,I cut a slot on the back sides of my beechwood 2" x 6"'s,and used a 1/2" diameter rod of cold rolled steel that goes through the legs.and has washers and a nut to tighten down very securely on each end.

He certainly did a great job on the sliding deadman. It really fit nicely on the inverted "V" track. Very nice indeed!

Where was he arrogant? I did not pick up on that. Maybe on his other videos? He made an extremely well thought out bench,and did a good job of demonstrating it for anyone who might want to build one.

He might be using the name "Samurai" as a joke-a reference to the old Saturday Night Live "Samurai Tailor" and other skits.

Personally,I see no need to load myself down with the large number of tools he has hung all over himself on that leather (where did he GET that thing?) outfit,if I'm working in my shop where everything is near by. Perhaps out on a construction site would be appropriate.
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-28-2016 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    The samurai carpenter shtick is really goofy, but he does do really good work.
    That's exactly how I feel about him. I tried watching his youtube channel, but I can't get past all the annoying attitude stuff that is unrelated to the actual work. Too much "zen attitude" from a young guy who is also hawking makita lunchbox planers.
    Jeff

I see a young family man who has amassed some very serious skills in a very short time. He is a fine finish carpenter by trade, probably puts out more woodwork in a week than most here do in a year.... Attitude? I have one also but with only a 1/4 of those skills!

I haven't watched his other videos. But,as the saying goes: "It ain't bragging if you can do it"!

Different strokes, I suppose. The workbench video didn't really illustrate the aforementioned arrogance and attitude, but some of the other videos certainly do. I actually really like the content of some of these videos, it's just hard for me to listen to someone who is arrogant for very long. The dude has some seriously awesome tools and skills, but nobody wants to hear him tell us how awesome he is because he has such awesome tools and skills.

IMO, there's something to be said for restraint and modesty that somehow makes someone who is very skilled, appear even more so with those traits exhibited because it shows maturity and perspective. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter, because that is an awesome bench, and that's the point of this thread.