Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you still have a land line phone?

Blog Entries

Do you still have a land line phone?

We are moving and I'm trying to decide if we should have a land line ( we all have cell phones). Do you still have a land line?
    thanks
    Dennis

Sure don't. Haven't had one is a long time now.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

We have one, always have.

I’ve never understood why I would want to give my doctor, dentist, pharmacist, electrician, plumber, kid’s schoolteacher, &c. a personal or even work cell phone number. They all get the landline and the work number and extension. I check phone messages when I’m inclined to or there’s a need to, and answer the phone at work.

That said, I’m still kind of annoyed that the phone company just switched us from a copper line to VoIP, and need to find time to buy a new battery for the system.

Yes/no - - we got rid of our "land line" over a year ago and got an Ooma.
    Best move I made in a long time.

Got the Ooma device on sale for $99 and the bill each month runs about $3.
    Our phone bill before was about $30 a month.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

No, it's probably been close to a decade since we last had a land line. I haven't missed it.
    The cell does everything a land line does, and more, if you use the options it has available to you.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Almost 9 years without now. When we last moved, we were moving out of the coverage area of a small phone co-op (still getting capital credit checks annually), and just didn't see the point of the extra expense because our cell phones have excellent reception here. With cable internet and wifi in the home, even our teenage boys, who have our old, de-activated iPhones can use free apps to text or call us from home. The phones will get re-activated when they get their driver's licenses, like our oldest did.

I do get some annoying calls on my personal phone (also have a dumb phone provided by the county, for whom I work), but since I'm paying for the phone, I decide when to use it.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I have phone as part of my cable package.

So I guess no I do not have a landline but guess I still do??
    Last edited by George Bokros; 03-27-2016 at 8:11 AM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Yes/no - - we got rid of our "land line" over a year ago and got an Ooma.
    Best move I made in a long time.

Got the Ooma device on sale for $99 and the bill each month runs about $3.
    Our phone bill before was about $30 a month.
    Yours is like mine then VoIP -- Voice over internet protocol.
    George

Cell phones don't are not reliable in the boonies where I live, if they ever get decent service here the land line is history.

We still have a land line and probably will for a while yet. Doesn't get used much at all but I view it is a safety device. Here's the story....

About 5 years ago my mother would come over in the morning to get our oldest daughter (1st grade at the time) on the bus and watch our youngest daughter. I was heading to another office an hour away at the time. My wife had left for work as well. I got a call on my cell from my 7 year old daughter that grandma fell down the stairs. I thought the front outdoor two steps since it was winter and maybe she needed a little help. Nope, my mom tripped at the top of a full flight of stairs and went all the way down. Broke her back and arm. (She is ok now after a long rehab)

But, I shudder to think what would have happened if we didn't have a landline and my daughter couldn't have called me. So we will have one until everyone in the family has a cell phone.

As an aside, I called 911 from the road 3 counties away and asked for an ambulance at our house. The 911 operator knew exactly where I was located on the highway and questioned why I was calling for an ambulance somewhere else. Once I told her the situation she understood. But then it took 10 minutes of me on hold and that county operator looking up and trying to connect me with 911 in my home county. That 10 minutes seemed like forever. It seems like they would have a better way of being connected between counties.

Had that incident not happened I probably would have ditched the landline a long time ago but I view it differently than some. That $30 a month is a cheap price for me to pay.

Part of the cable package. Drop the phone and the price of cable goes up.
    Plus, my wife is Canadian and the cable phone gives us unlimited free calls to Canada.
    Our cheap Virgin Mobile cell phone plans don't include Canada calls.

At some point we're probably going to drop cable and get an Ooma. But I just got a new 2 year plan with Comcast, so it'll be two years at least.

We dropped the real landline about 10 years ago. Went from $75/month with AT&T to $7 for VoIP with Sun Rocket. Then switched to Comcast when they started offering it.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    Part of the cable package. Drop the phone and the price of cable goes up.
    Same with my cable, drop the phone and cable and internet cost me more. I took the phone a year ago but did not use it until now.
    George

i still have one mainly because we use it for ATT high speed Uverse internet. But, I need to look costs for this and other options.

Blog Entries
    We do. It would cost us 12.00 a month more a month for internet for not having it.

Nope. Got rid of it years ago when we realized that the only people who ever called on it were telemarketers and politicians. Everyone else called our cell phones. We got rid of it and never missed it.