Thread: Question for Peppermill Makers

Question for Peppermill Makers

What have you found to be the most stable finish on pepper mills made of cherry, walnut or maple? I've been using WOP but some I gave my kids several years ago are beginning to look a little worn. I wonder if lacquer or an oil would have held up better?

Thanks.

I can't speak to longevity because I only made my first set this year, but I chose an oil (walnut oil) finish primarily because it can be easily refreshed if necessary (and I liked the idea of an all-natural finish for something that will get handled while eating). I have one grinder made of cherry and one made of walnut. Both turned out very attractive and have held up well so far.

I use general finishes Enduro var on pepper and salt mills. It isssn't cheap but lasts a long time. Has 45 min water andc acetone rating. So it will last in the kitchen. I wouldn't use any oils unllesss it is to make the grain stand out Like BLO and put several coats of enduro vaaaaar over the oil. I wouldn't use lacquer either just not tough enough in the kitchen.

I hope that helps Dave.

Quinn

Use a finishing oil - Liberon Finishing Oil, Waterlox or similar. Stands up to use/abuse much better than hard finishes - lacquer, wipe-on poly and similar. And if the mill gets a little banged up, repeat application of finishing oil and the nicks/dings suddenly become character marks. - John

I've used satin WOP over Danish oil and have used the same peppermill for close to ten years now.
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

I use seven coats of lacquer and three coats of automotive wax. Only one year but they look great.

Hi Dave,
    I have successfully used Minwax Tung Oil and have some mills used daily for over two years now.
    Peter F.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Watermann View Post
    I use seven coats of lacquer and three coats of automotive wax. Only one year but they look great.
    Dave, this is what I use down here as well.
    Rgds,
    Richard.

WOP or lacquer will stand up to wear for a long time if the film is thick enough. The nature of both is to go on thin, so 5 or 6 or seven coats may be needed to get enough of a film to be really durable. Precat lacquer will be tougher and hold up better. Automotive lacquers are tough as well, but the gloss is a bit high for my taste, and you will still need several coats to build a film thick enough to wear well for a lot of handling.

Thank you so much for the excellent information.

Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Use a finishing oil - Liberon Finishing Oil, Waterlox or similar. Stands up to use/abuse much better than hard finishes - lacquer, wipe-on poly and similar. And if the mill gets a little banged up, repeat application of finishing oil and the nicks/dings suddenly become character marks. - John
    I use Waterlox as well, tried others and they did not last.

My go to pepper mill was finished with Generals Salad Bowl Finish, many coats. It will build up to a very hard, durable finish. Has to be close to 5 years now, and theres no sign of wear after near daily use.