Thread: Building the Counter Top

Question Building the Counter Top

I had planned to glue and screw 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood together and the top that with 1/8" hardboard.

Then I watched this video on making counter tops. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDeO6zLwuMI
    He is cutting 1 3/4" strips to use as riser blocks between the 1/2" & 3/4" plywood.

Is there a good reason for this?

Thanks for reading, looking forward to your feedback.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

It would add some stiffness (and some height) to the top, but doubled 3/4 ply, as you plan, will be fine (provided your spans are reasonable). Many, many countertops are just 3/4" thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
    I had planned to glue and screw 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood together and the top that with 1/8" hardboard.

Then I watched this video on making counter tops. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDeO6zLwuMI
    He is cutting 1 3/4" strips to use as riser blocks between the 1/2" & 3/4" plywood.

Is there a good reason for this?

Thanks for reading, looking forward to your feedback.
    No good reason I know of. I don't use plywood, I use particle board. I don't use two like size boards, I just use wide boards around the bottom edges and a few to span the gaps between them. Plenty of stability, assuming it will be sitting on cabinets.

Blog Entries
    I have no idea why he built that top like that. My counter-top is just 3/4" plywood fastened to cross-pieces at 16" O/C. That works fine for me......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution