Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track Saw dust hose

Track Saw dust hose

I am about to pull the trigger on the DeWalt Track Saw and I was wondering if anyone knew where to buy a 1.25" hose that I could use with my shop vac. I have some converters that get the 2.5" down to 1.25" but wanted a smaller/ longer hose.

I use this kit with mine: LINK with this adapter: LINK. Works great! You have an Oneida Dust Deputy for that Shop-Vac yet? If not get one!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

My festool hose on my festool vacuum works well with my Dewalt track saw.

I bought a Bosch hose to use with my festool track saw. It works great. Amazon has it on sale now.
    http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-VAC005-5-Meter-Vacuum-Hose/
    Last edited by Herb Linderman; 03-29-2016 at 5:13 PM.

Mike,

I strongly advise that you stick with the thicker hose. With my EZ system, I have a VERY well-sealed CS, but I still get a lot of dust in the air if I use a thinner hose, as a lot escapes from underneath. The difference when using a 2" hose is substantial.

Make yourself an overhead hanger for the hose, with a pulley or two. Plus, if you can, add some thin bungee material to pull the hose back slightly, so as to keep things neater at the saw.

IMO, this is the ONLY way to use a tracksaw.

I use the Festool 36mm hose with my Dewalt track saw. It fits inside the dust port snugly and the other end slips right in to my Dust Right canister. I have also used a 1½" hose...the 12-ft ShopVac industrial hose...and the end slips nicely over the Dewalt dust port. I didn't notice a significant difference in dust collection between the two. I also didn't experience the problem Allan mentioned but if you do, the 1½" might be a good compromise in size and performance.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I got a hose at HD, and adapted it to the DeWalt, and it worked well, but I recently got the new super flexible hose and adaptor kit from Rockler. It fits almost everything. I also use it with the dust deputy.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Thank you for all of the replies. Herb, I like the Bosch hose and the price is right and I think I will order that. Regarding Festool I called my local Woodcraft (over an hour away) to ask if they had anything that I could use and they said no. I asked if the Festool hose would work (They are a Festool dealer) and the guy said no but that it was a lot of money in any case!! I need to look into the dust deputy. I work in an garage that is jam packed and my current dust collection system involves rolling tools to the edge of the door or just going outside and using a leaf blower when I am done. I do use a mask, but I need to get going with some dust collection. I tried a track saw that belonged to a buddy and it throws some dust. By the way this is a great site and I find it very educational. Thanks again.

I've used the Dewalt briefly and think the dust collection and port is similar to my Festool and Makita.

With a Vacuum that is not anti-static, the Bosch VAC005 is pretty much the solution for most uses. It is 5 meters (16.5') long so doesn't cause problems. You can improve on the collection, at least in theory, by changing the tool end to the 36mm Festool end or shortening the hose. I'm not sure I've actually noticed a difference but it seems like it might be there. The stock Fein 30mm hose, used on all Feins before the current units, works about the same. Slightly smaller hose with a hard plastic end that just fits inside and doesn't restrict air flow.

Using a 2 1/4" hose might make sense on a non track saw modified to use on an EZ system but that is just another indication that they are not designed for dust collection. Tracksaws will always collect more dust when used on a foam base so maybe a bigger hose would help if you don't but that would be a PIA for sure.

Adapters at the tool end and in the middle of a hose would be horrible and get in the way. I've got a few but hopefully have thrown them all so deep that I would never be desperate enough to dig for them. Just the short 8' power cord on the Makita, needing an extension cord, can catch on enough items to be a pain.

Yes, the Festool non-antistatic 36mm hose is a bit nicer than the Bosch but it is triple the price. It is damaged when you eventually step on it unlike the stiffer Festool Anti-Static hoses that are the way to go IF you have an Anti-Static Vac.

The Ridgid Pro Hose is too stiff and too short to work well for a Tracksaw for most uses but is great on Miter Saws and other more stationary tools. Great for the price.

The Rockler hose shortens under suction so is great for jerking the tool around and damaging your work. I'm sure it works for some things but I returned mine and I almost never return anything. I guess it depends on what your specific needs are.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 03-30-2016 at 3:53 PM.

I also use the bosch dust hose that Herb linked to (although the link now appears to be broken, but if you search for Bosch Dust hose it pops up). It fits snugly in the Dewalt fitting, and is long enough and light enough to not be much of a nuisance. The other end fits any shop vac and will also push reasonably well onto the dust Deputy (why on earth didn't they make that a standard fitting!!!!). As a bonus, it also fits my Triton 3 1/4 horse router dust shroud.

Before I got the Bosch hose, I was using the Rockler dust right universal small tool kit. The larger size adaptor for that fits (over) the Dewalt fitting. But that hose is like 4 (10?) times as heavy as the bosch hose and I was always fighting it.

I think Bosch also makes an anti-static version of that hose, which helps keep the outside from collecting a lot of dust, but it's about twice the price; might as well get the Festool for those $$$.

Paul, the link was broken but I did search and find the hose on Amazon and, I am ordering it. Ben, this morning it never occurred to me to even look at a Dust Deputy but after you mentioned it, I took a look, watched some videos and am convinced I need one. I see it on Amazon Prime for $118 but I will call Woodcraft to see if they have it in stock as its $99 on the Wood Craft site. By the time I drive the hour to get there, I will have spent a part of the savings on gas but its a good excuse to visit Wood Craft and Rockler is around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    Using a 2 1/4" hose might make sense on a non track saw modified to use on an EZ system but that is just another indication that their not designed for dust collection. Tracksaws will always collect more dust when used on a foam base so maybe a bigger hose would help if you don't but that would be a PIA for sure. .
    I feel compelled to respond to this. I have seen OFFICIAL Festool videos showing their tracksaw used for an end cut, and you can clearly see lots of sawdust flying out the bottom. This is something that cannot be controlled by any kind of enclosure, no matter what saw you use. The only answer, if minimum dust is important to you, is to maximize suction & air speed at the tool.

## One caveat: There IS actually a way: Use an "EZ-ONE" table, and build a sort of "sanding table" chamber underneath. I haven't done this yet, but it should capture 100% of the dust that escapes out the bottom of the cut, because the work is suspended on sacrificial supports. I dunno how you would do this with a system that lays on foam, but there may be a way.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 03-30-2016 at 1:22 AM.

This is what I use:

http://www.rockler.com/dust-right-un...cuum-claw-tool

And it fits many different tools.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

I use a Bosch 5M hose with my DeWalt track saw, Rigid shop vac with quasi HEPA filter, and dust deputy. Here's a link to a dust deputy for less than $60 on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Oneida-Molded-...ds=dust+deputy
    A quick google search found it for closer to $50 at ace hardware and sears. That is about right. You also need a drywall bucket but you can get one for around $5 at a big box home improvement store if you don't have any (I have a bunch).

I also posted a link to my setup. It works very well. I get almost all the dust with the track saw as long as the blade is buried in the wood. If the blade is on the outside where I'm removing only a tiny amount of wood, it doesn't get it all. That kind of cut throws a lot of dust on a table saw too unless you have overhead dust collection. I use a 2.5 inch hose on the same setup on my table saw. The rigid shop vac is not real powerful but it works pretty well. I use it on the CMS and RAS too. I plan to try and adapt the Festool chute from their sliding miter saw to my Hitachi CMS to improve it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I ordered the Track Saw today (CPO for $599 with free shipping) and two clamps that were 20% off, bought the Bosch hose at Amazon and I am going to Wood Craft in the morning to pick up a Dust Deputy. I am glad I posted as I would never have looked at the Dust Deputy had it not been all of the input here.