Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: "Best" Table Saw?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    I just checked, and the OP has not logged on since he created this thread 3 days ago.
    It was bait. On another forum a couple of guys bet that those goofs over at Sawmill Creek would rack up at least 50 posts on a dumb thread like this. One of the guys won $1 on John Sanford's post.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    It was bait. On another forum a couple of guys bet that those goofs over at Sawmill Creek would rack up at least 50 posts on a dumb thread like this. One of the guys won $1 on John Sanford's post.
    Oh, that's funny!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

While I think this thread is heading off-topic, I'm willing to keep it open but please stay on-topic.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Best is the one I have .................................................. .... For me anyway.

i bought a fully restored 1972 powermatic 66 which was converted to single phase with a new leeson 3hp USA motor and included both short and long rails with new fence and miter. Only thing it needed was a motor cover and blade guard. Ordered a shark guard blade guard and a plastic motor cover and good to go. About 1/2 price of a new powermatic and mine was made in the US. In other words check out your area craigslist.

Last edited by Greg Parrish; 04-02-2016 at 7:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Best is the one I have .................................................. .... For me anyway.

i bought a fully restored 1972 powermatic 66 which was converted to single phase with a new leeson 3hp USA motor and included both short and long rails with new fence and miter. Only thing it needed was a motor cover and blade guard. Ordered a shark guard blade guard and a plastic motor cover and good to go. About 1/2 price of a new powermatic and mine was made in the US. In other words check out your area craigslist.

Now this is a great looking saw.

Had my DELTA TS over 20 years....Dependable, accurate and serves my needs..the trend today however is SAWSTOP mostly for safety
    Jerry

The BEST table saw is actually a very good Bandsaw, combined with a very good tracksaw system.

End thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    OK, serious now: If I was in the market for a jobsite saw, I would buy the Bosch Reaxx. ... Erik
    Except.
    You can't buy Bosch Reaxx. Not yet, at least here in the US of A. Reportedly, Bosch is now promising a release date of July 1.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Jeff,

I've had good experiences with the sales guys at Rockler in St. Louis. Always very courteous. I'm sure they were trying to be helpful. Sometimes they're limited to what they have to sell. Sometimes they just don't have exactly what I want.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post

Come on guys! We can get it up to 100 useless posts! Maybe win another buck?....

LOL

Hey Larry,

Again not to hijack the thread, and not to create the SS debate all over again, but what materials are you cutting on a regular basis that (if you had one) would make you need to deactivate the safety gear on a SS saw? I have had mine for over 10 years and have never once had to deactivate the safety stuff, nor have I ever caused it to trip. The only complaint I have about it is it does add to the changeover time from combo blade to Dado to combo blade again. That is a pain because you have to swap out the sensor, but it isn't bad at all, and I am very willing to spend the little extra time. Just curious Larry - what do you cut on your Grizzly that might trip a SS?

Here's my take on the whole SS debate. I play guitar, which is my #1 hobby. I have amassed a very serious collection of guitars over the years, a far more significant investment than my WW equipment. If I had some accident with any WW equipment that effected my ability to play it would be a very big issue for me. And along that line of thinking, I type code for a living. That also would be tough to work around if I had a hand out of play for any significant length of time. So any time the SS takes away from my free time is well worth it. I will change that dado sensor out a thousand times before I complain about he time it takes. I so very much appreciate the SS technology. I am very grateful for it.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that the risk on a miter saw or a bandsaw is as great as a table saw. I don't get that. I realize a miter saw poses a pretty big risk. If SS can ally their technology to a miter saw I would be in the market. At this point most of what I cross cut I do on the table saw with a sled anyway - much safer and just as easy as the miter saw. I realize the band saw can be dangerous too, but what percentage of accidents on a band saw actually end in amputation vs those on a table saw? I am betting a very low number. Yeah you might get stitches, and even might cut a tendon or two, but I doubt you are carrying body parts in a bucket to the ER the way you may be with a TS.

OP - I really apologize for the hijack. My advice to you is buy the Sawstop. Not only is it much safer, it is as good or better a saw from a fit and finish and operation standpoint than any of its competitors. So you get a great saw that has the added benefit of protecting your hands from dramatic injury. You can get a 3 HP PCS for around $3000.00 and its an easy sell to SWMBO.

Joe

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Except.
    You can't buy Bosch Reaxx. Not yet, at least here in the US of A. Reportedly, Bosch is now promising a release date of July 1.

Interesting, did not know that.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

13. Greg,
    Now that is a great looking saw you have if I must say so myself. I hated to see her go............

Harold

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    The BEST table saw is actually a very good Bandsaw, combined with a very good tracksaw system.

End thread?
    track saw is extremely limited in what it can do and therefore doesn't come close to being able to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Montgomery Scott View Post
    track saw is extremely limited in what it can do and therefore doesn't come close to being able to replace it.
    A bandsaw and track saw combo can come pretty darn close to replacing a table saw. You just have to rethink how you do things. And it of course depends on what kind of work you do with the tools.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!