Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: "Best" Table Saw?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Not only is he still holding at 1 post, he hasn't even logged on since his one and only post. We didn't scare him off, he hasn't even been back to check on his post.

This thread was posted at 9:32pm on 3/39/2016. His profile shows that his last activity was at 9:33pm on 3/29/2016. This tells me that he posted the thread and then logged off and hasn't returned.
    Like I said before my posts were deleted, sock puppet.

Dang,guess a forum drifter--------------

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    A bandsaw and track saw combo can come pretty darn close to replacing a table saw. You just have to rethink how you do things. And it of course depends on what kind of work you do with the tools.
    And I make a lot of very small pieces or very narrow strips for segmented turning. In no wise could you rethink a way to make a track saw or bandsaw fulfill that function.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Schlosser View Post

Incidentally, IF I had enough space in both my shop and budget, I'd be purchasing a 4'X4' bed CNC router system rather than "just" a table saw.... even if it was a SS.
    Exactly! CNC controlled is the future, just need the space and the computer know how. The stuff my friends boyfriend makes on his 4ft x 4ft CNC router is insane. Curved legs, perfect miters, perfect dados, perfect mortises. Really nothing it cant do especially if it's a 3 axis. Almost feels cheating. Problem is they are huge and need space, same amount of space as a sliding panel saw needs. Since I don't have $5k to throw down on a saw, I'm saving up for a 3hp SawStop. Figure the premium to save the digits is worth it.

Many cabinet shops are moving over to full size 5x9 CNC routers. The computer outlines the cut and it's nearly perfect to hundreths of inches. Less waste in material too.
    Last edited by Patrick Irish; 04-07-2016 at 3:43 PM.

I had a job for a short year out of high school working at a lumber yard.I was the only one interested in learning how to run a center line saw to cut webs and cords for trusses.Loved that saw Metra cut centerline saw.
    The business went under due to computer controlled saw not far away.I had a shot at the position all I had to do was shove wood in one end and stack it coming out.And grow a beer belly.
    I refused because I am a woodworker not a machine operator.
    I still hold my position today there are some things machines cannot do.
    A woodworker is perfectly imperfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    IMO SawStop cabinet saws are the best way to go. They really arent that much more than their competitors and offer a lot more quality and safety wise.
    For myself I guess I might be a bit old fashioned in that I look for longevity in a tool. I have a bandsaw that's 45 years old, a lathe that's 15 years old and they work like new, and they'll long out live me, most likely without ever having a breakdown... Big reason for that is they're simple machines. Only thing that really goes wrong with them is the belts get hard and eventually break, though the bandsaw still has its original belt. I've worked on 80 year old saws that still had the original motors. If a quality company like apple says they only expect you to get 4 years out of any of their product I doubt sawstop will be able to brag about decades of trouble free working. And what's worse, such parts become unavailable. If a bearing or belt goes on any of my machines it would take longer to drive down the the store to buy the parts than it would to put them in. Good luck with the Sawstop when the main controller craps itself and the original parts are no longer available. I would never consider a sawstop
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by bob cohen View Post
    I find it interesting that the most expensive and I imagine best table saws (e.g., Martin) are generally found in large production shops and used to cut sheet goods and make commercially available furniture at competitive prices. The one guy I know who has Felder equipment, makes mostly cabinets for his shop. I rarely see these over the top expensive sawsf in one-man or small shops that make original, finely crafted and detailed furniture pieces. Instead they typically have well tuned familiar cabinet saws, powermatic, saws top, delta, etc. My advice is to buy a good quality cabinet saw, and learn how to tune and use it properly.

It's something I've always noticed since I started 35 years ago. The most skilled woodworkers always had the most unremarkable shops.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    So, do all your power cutting tools/machines have flesh sensing technology? Bandsaw?, routers?, miter saw?, Jointer? If they don't then you are also statistically highly likely to get hurt in the very near future. Just sayin...

I love the broad sweeping statistical lingo. If what you are say were true there would be millions walking around without digits.
    Last edited by Brian Ashton; 04-16-2016 at 11:03 AM.

What ever happened to the OP? Must have scared him away. Nobody listens anymore they just stand and scream at each other "mines the best"

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hart View Post
    Nobody listens anymore they just stand and scream at each other "mines the best"
    You're new to the internet I take it?

i bought a used grizzly G0715P. do you have any other woodworking tools power / hand that you're looking for? like most people on the board, we've collected our "shop" over many years.

I own a cnc router and a table saw. they are not designed to do the same things. If you ever acquire one, you will see what I mean. I use them both every day. If you look around the commercial shops that use a 4 X 8 or 5 X 9 router, you will almost always see a table saw being used as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Schlosser View Post
    Incidentally, IF I had enough space in both my shop and budget, I'd be purchasing a 4'X4' bed CNC router system rather than "just" a table saw.... even if it was a SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    John nailed this one. I do see multiple definitions and opinions on the definitions. but.... To a Scientist, the definitions are clear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_and_precision

Accuracy: When it says 1.000, is it really 1.00

Precision: That repeatability thing. Do I get the same value every time?
    one of the first lessons in my analytical chemistry class

[QUOTE=Robert Engel;2547952]You'll need a budget of at least $2500 to get into the commercial cabinet type saws.

IMO any of the top brands (Jet, PM, SS, Unisaw) 3HP cabinet saw basically all be about the same.
    jet and grizzly are the same machine. jet must be purchased only in retail stores, while grizzly can only be purchased from grizzly.com

not sure where you live, but grizzly is having a tent sale in may, in st. louis. i've heard many people say prices are better than their sale prices

[QUOTE=richard b miller;2558043]
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    You'll need a budget of at least $2500 to get into the commercial cabinet type saws.

IMO any of the top brands (Jet, PM, SS, Unisaw) 3HP cabinet saw basically all be about the same.
    jet and grizzly are the same machine. jet must be purchased only in retail stores, while grizzly can only be purchased from grizzly.com

not sure where you live, but grizzly is having a tent sale in may, in st. louis. i've heard many people say prices are better than their sale prices

You seem to have Jet and ShopFox mixed up. Jet has nothing to do with Grizzly. ShopFox is their retail brand. (the white machines)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...