Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 3HP Cyclone Dust Collector to Buy

Which 3HP Cyclone Dust Collector to Buy

I have decided to get a new dust collector and looking at a 3 hp cyclone. But, there are quite a few choices. I do not have a space limitation so that is one thing that I really do not need to look at.

What features are important?

1. Price—of Course
    2. Made in the USA
    3. Bin Sensor
    4. Roll Around - Portable
    5. Customer Service
    6. Fan Curve – CFM and Static Pressure
    7. Filter area – most are similar but one advertises many times more square feet.

I found fan curves for 5 different cyclones and plotted the data for all of them on one chart. I cannot really verify the accuracy of the curves but took the data from the manufacturer’s website or magazine article. One could debate the accuracy of them but it is amazing that they all fell in a fairly narrow band. With them all being so close, is one really better than the other? Which one would you pick? Maybe pick the highest one on the graph?

The most difficult to evaluate is the quality of the cyclone. One can read lots of comments about them with respect to the fit of them and difficulty of putting them together. This is an important part but difficult to really evaluate.

I have contacted a couple of people who have certain cyclones and asked them questions. This seems to be one way of finding out about various models and brands and any problems they encountered.

Figuring the price is also not real easy as some include a stand, remote control, bin sensor and dust bin. The other price issue is the shipping costs. What I found for the 3 HP cyclones is that they range from around $1600-$2400.

If you were going to pick a 3 HP cyclone, which one would you pick and what things most influenced your decision?

Five Fan Curves.jpg

I picked The Grizzly 3hp. I had one more consideration: Delivery costs to Canada. I eliminated Penn State for customer concern issues. Onieda was eliminated because of cost and shipping.
    My shop is about 26'x26' and 8 ft high. If your shop is quite a bit bigger hopefully someone with a similar size will weigh in. I can say I cold not be happier with the choice I made both for performance and customer service.

I just got done doing all my research and I went with the Oneida V-3000. Based on my findings and criteria it was by far the best option for me.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I bought a ClearVue on sale for about $2000 shipped. It is 5HP..

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    4. Roll Around - Portable
    So you're looking for a *portable* 3HP cyclone? Wouldn't hold your breath on that one... If you're going to put in a big cyclone, you should be planning for permanent ductwork (and you should figure the cost of that into your budget, as it can nearly equal the price of the cyclone if you're not careful).

Personally, I'm quite happy with my 3HP Grizzly and plastic Sewer & Drain pipe ductwork. But I'm a one-man hobby shop, not a multi-person commercial shop. You didn't say what your intended use is, so it's hard to give any useful recommendations.

Oneida has a few good portable/roll around models.

What is important to me is probably different than what is important to you. I think most people will reply "I have a XXX and love it"; but that probably doesn't help you much.

I'll second what Ben said, I bought the oneida V-3000 last year and couldn't be happier! It's a great duct collector, but as was also mentioned be prepared for the ductwork, it gets expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wilde View Post
    I'll second what Ben said, I bought the oneida V-3000 last year and couldn't be happier! It's a great duct collector, but as was also mentioned be prepared for the ductwork, it gets expensive!
    Boy yea it does. Think Im around a grand already in just metal ductwork. Itll be nice when its all setup, but yet that stuff is expensive.

You need to figure out your layout, the machines you will be using and what type and size of pipe best fits the machines and layout and then size the impeller and motor to match. If you get the pipe and ports wrong, a 3 hp 14" impeller might not pull enough cfm at higher static pressure to deliver what you need. A larger system can somewhat overcome design errors, but a 2-3 hp system all ready limited by the pressure drop of a cyclone may not. Dave

11. Jet and Laguna both have 3 hp clclones that are portable. They look identical to me. The specs on both seem good but they are not made in the USA. Woodcraft has a sale coming up on the Laguna on April 1. 10 % off shipped to a local store.

I am sorry if I was confusing. I only mentioned the portable as a potential option and I really do not need it.

Yes, I have considered my duct layout and the machines on it. My layout will be pretty straight forward with about 25 feet of 6" duct and 4-5 Wyes. I have modeled this with the Pentz spreadsheet to see what I will need. All of the 3 hp cyclone collectors that I show in the graph have sufficient capability to handle this layout.

In several of the cases, the cost increase for going from 3 to 5 HP is only $100-150. It is something that I will consider and will discuss when I make some calls this week.

I have also looked at the costs of the duct for what I would initially like to have. The metal duct is not cheap and the plastic drain pipe is much cheaper (priced it at Menards).

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Latourelle View Post
    Jet and Laguna both have 3 hp clclones that are portable. They look identical to me. The specs on both seem good but they are not made in the USA. Woodcraft has a sale coming up on the Laguna on April 1. 10 % off shipped to a local store.
    I have some experience with the King labelled version of these short cone machines. To say that I was less than impressed would be an understatement.
    Mike

in real world applications with 6" mains and a 6" port, a 3 hp 14" impeller will flow in the range of 800-1000 cfm, 15" 5 hp 1000-1200 cfm and 5 hp 16" impeller 1200-1400 cfm. These are generalizations but in the ball park from the testing I've done over the years. When the mains are reduced at the port and you also include the additional resistance of the machine hood itself, flow when operating the machine can be significantly less.
    Last edited by David Kumm; 03-27-2016 at 10:14 PM.

My preference is for a dust collection cyclone system to be from a manufacturer/vendor that specializes in the same. There are way too many "me too" offers out there that are mass produced and not necessarily well designed. For me, that's Oneida for US-made pre-built and that's what's in my shop. ClearVue offers some nice products if you want to "roll your own". There are certainly others, but these seem to have a good reputation for US-made.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...