Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Try this on for size

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    I suggest that you click on the image for a full screen picture Steve. I mean even the cheek is obviously laminated and that is one step beyond a laminated plane in my opinion. The grain is screaming at us. My eyes are fine, how many fingers am I holding up?

Laminated means more than one piece glued up as an assembly to me. This plane is exactly that. What have I missed?

I don't have a problem with laminated planes, I made dozens of them. I have a problem with attitude...
    What you think is a lamination is actually a very crisp chamfer, about, 3/8" wide. That is what a hand-planed chamfer looks like…at least, one that is well done. Since the chamfer exposes a rift sawn view, which contrasts with the both the quarter sawn side and the flat sawn top, I can see how, to the untrained eye, it could appear to be a lamination. But it is obviously not, it is a one piece, mortised plane.

And as far as your comment about attitude is concerned…the entire purpose of your first post was to smack David down. Sorry that it backfired so spectacularly. But if you're going to bring attitude, don't be surprised if you get attitude back…
    Last edited by Steve Voigt; 04-02-2016 at 10:16 AM.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Was that the plane that Dave auctioned to help out the guy at wood central?

I'm with Steve. The plane is definitely single block mortise construction. The only criticism I would have with the design of the plane is that the rear tote is positioned too close to the double irons projection. imo
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 04-02-2016 at 3:42 AM.

I don't think I agree with you Stewie about the placement of the tote. I think it is the camera angle that makes it look closer then it really is, and there will still be plenty of space to swing a hammer. I like my totes to be as close to the blade as possible while still allowing enoug room for adjustement. Luckilly my hands are narrow so I can make a smaller tote. This handle looks rather large. Having the tote close to the blade somehow improves the balance of the plane.

Great stuff Prashun! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Looks like another great example of our friend David's ever-growing skill.

I sure miss Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I purchased (for a way too low price) this try plane from David Weaver.

In my short time with wood planes, there is something about their lightness and ability (coincidence?) to take thick, straight up shavings that really speak to me.

The three I have are just so easy to push and scrub and joint with - even if they lack the ergonmics and knobs of my steely dan's ( :0)!

It was sheer joy jointing this piece of sycamore.
    And with a little wax, you'd think it was pulling itself over the wood. You'd almost feel like you have to hold it back
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

I find that with wood planes, the shavings can come up thick and straight up, and still leave a glass smooth surface.
    There's no reason the same thing can't be done with a traditional metal plane, right? How much did you pay for this one?

It was sheer joy jointing this piece of sycamore.
    It is nice to have this record of what the plane can do for future reference. Its my understanding that the person who made it is a sharpening guru. Hopefully you can replicate his results in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    There's no reason the same thing can't be done with a traditional metal plane, right? How much did you pay for this one?
    You forget the magic Pat. Some things just get better with a little magic mixed in.

The picture is deceiving but it is indeed a solid body.

David took care to ask me about my hand size and I can assure you it's comfortable and there is plenty of room to adjust the blade.

I don't want to share the price because he was generous. Say what you want about David, but generous with time and advice and product and wood is something I know him to be.

Fwiw, steve, when I approached David, he advised he was strapped for time and suggested I approach you. I imagine you are probably back logged too!!

I may well being eating crow for dinner tonight and will humbly do so if Prashun will post a pic of the end grain for us. I assumed that this was steamed Euro beech which is the only beech that I use in my shop but it is most likely domestic beech and then the colour variations would make sense. I of course would be entirely wrong in my previous posts and apologize to Steve.

Table for one please. You have a crow special tonight? Excellent. Appetizer? No, just crow but I may finish with humble pie.

And yes you can make shavings like that with a metal plane just pull the chip breaker way back from the cutting edge if you can.

Say what you want about David, but generous with time and advice and product and wood is something I know him to be.
    +1 +1 +1 +1 I've never seen anyone on this board say anyhing negative about David. And I strongly agree with you Prashun - he is unfailingly generous with his time and knowledge.

Blog Entries
    Chris,
    I have two of David's planes, my Try plane being of the same run of planes that Prashun's was a part of. They're solid stock.

Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thanks for confirming my ignorance Prashun and Brian and to Steve my apology for being a jerk. I will be one again, I am not trying to eliminate this behaviour entirely just reduce the event frequency.

If you really want to know how David makes these planes, and you have nothing scheduled for the next week, you can watch his youtube series of making a double iron beech try plane. All in all something like 15 hours of small talk, David's opinions and all the tricks of the wooden plane making trade he can think of.

It starts here, there are about 20 episodes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qjHMwL-dj4