Thread: Dresser Rehab

Dresser Rehab

A friend called a while back and said she had gotten an old dresser and wanted me to make it look pretty, with no other guidance. Before I tackled the finish I had to rebuild the drawers and drawer runners which had a lot of wear.

I don't have any "before" pics but it wasn't pretty. Here's what it looked like after I stripped off the old finish.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The veneer on the drawers looked pretty interesting. There was damage to the lower legs, and I rebuilt those areas with Bondo and then filed and sanded it to match. Here's what it looked like after finishing:

[IMG][/url][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The finish is GF's black milk paint applied with a foam brush; very nice stuff. The carcase, including the black paint, was topcoated with GF's HP Poly in satin. I finished the drawers with a light wiped on coat of linseed oil. When that had dried for a couple of days, I sprayed them with Sealcoat Shellac and then HP Poly in gloss. For those who say water bornes are cloudy, or bluish, or whatever, I offer this as proof it ain't so. For those who say poly belongs only on floors - you haven't kept up.

My friend was pleased.

John
    Last edited by John TenEyck; 04-01-2016 at 8:01 PM.

your friend should have been dancing a jig! spectacular job! I'd have that piece in my house in a heartbeat.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

That's beautiful. Well done

What an excellent looking piece!

She has a good friend.

Excellent work!

I know I've seen a piece that could have been made by the same company, the finish was not really damaged but drab. Seeing this one makes me wonder if they just didn't want them "too flashy" (USA speak for colorful). The black is a really nice accent. Yeah,she should be ecstatic.

Blog Entries
    You took a piece of nice furniture and turned it into a piece of art. Beautiful work......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Stunning!!! The black milk paint really sets off the burl. Excellent refurb!!!