Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

4 Apr 2016

Good Morning Everyone,
    The weekend was good but steadily busy. The LOML Jr has been on bed rest due to elevated blood pressure with her pregnancy. We've been concerned about here and helping her and her husband out with food, house cleaning, and etc. Saturday I helped the Son-in-law replace some sub-floor in their laundry room, rip out some sheetrock, and replace the show faucet and shower head. Sunday was church, workout day, and a movie last night with Son #2 and the LOML. So far, I've lost 28 pounds and 6" in our new getting fit and losing weight plan. We've decided to be in this 'get fit' deal for at least a year and we are only 3 months into it. I have 55.5 pounds left to lose.....so we'll see how it goes day by day.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Progress on a clock I am building. Had to tune up my sons car, and had a bunch of other family obligations. This next weekend I am locking myself in the shop and not coming out.

Spent the weekend getting the garden ready for planting--clearing weeds from the pathways and turning compost into each of the raised beds. LOML and I did take time out on Sunday morning to visit the tulip fields in nearby Skagit Valley. I only had my cell phone camera but still managed to get some semi decent photos, which you can view here on my Flickr site.

1-DSC_1087.jpg

Here are the fruits of my weekend labor--12 wine racks ready for installation into a cellar under my stairs.
    IMG_0562.jpg

I'm not sure I make things out of wood anymore but I do like tinkering with the woodworking machines in the workshop. Anyhow, this was a weekend for getting a few things completed, or at least closer to it.

First, Friday night my wife and I finished setting the tile on our fireplace. That's nearly the last step before we can install an antique mantel that we dragged home last summer.

Also in the slow-moving project department, I have dragged out the restoration of a 50-year-old Rockwell/Delta 15" drill press for about two years. This weekend I put it back together and called it done, notwithstanding a few minor details. It runs, it drills holes, and it's ready to replace my 12" benchtop press.

I re-hung the ambient air cleaner in the workshop. There wasn't anything wrong with the original installation, except that the air cleaner hung a little crooked because of the off-center distribution of weight in the box. The new installation doesn't make it work any better or worse, but it keeps me from wishing it were straight every time I look up at it.
    Re-hanging.jpg
    Last edited by Charles Taylor; 04-04-2016 at 9:21 AM.
    Chuck Taylor

This weekend I spent most of my time "inside" because of the nasty weather and a lot of that time was "inside" my shop. I completed a simple shelf unit project for my older daughter, modified and painted some additional things for Professor Dr. SWMBO's beekeeping setup and milled up, fitted and started to finish some trim to go into an area between our great room and the kitchen that somehow got forgotten for far too long. Late on Saturday when things dried out a little, I also finished the rough backfill of a new/renovated garden area in front of our house with the big orange power tool.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A big congratulations on the get fit progress!

For me it was a wonderful couple of days with the young grandsons at the farm, trying to take it easy on the bruised (cracked?) rib from an exciting horse-bucking experience, preparing the shop for an upcoming woodturning class, servicing some electrical clippers and shears for the llama shearing season, and late nights panic sessions preparing a lesson for Sunday for 50 kids that I somehow forgot to put on my schedule!

JKJ

Finished assembling and gluing som plantation shutters. Will paint and hang this week.

Red face

I'm embarrassed to admit that I had 3 of those clamp holders that hold 12 clamps hanging around my shop for two years, and finally got them up on the wall this weekend.

The worst part was that my shop has French cleats so it wasn't really a killer of a job.Clamps 1.jpgClamps 2.jpg

regards, Rod.

We stayed busy. On Saturday put the sacrificial top on my "new" RAS, a 1958 Dewalt GWI. Did the Mr. Sawdust setup and the first crosscut and miter both measured at 1/2 a thousandth of an inch difference--so i left it alone!! LOML came out and made a few cuts as well--her grin was bigger than her eyes as she said..."it cuts like butter!!". That was worth the effort, great saw is a bonus!!

Sunday was church (both services, she sings and it was my week to mix sound for the band), then we replaced the mailbox/paper box that a driver hit sometime Saturday night. Got the tractor out of its corner, lubed and ready--made a test cut that ended up being the entire 1.5 acres. We then pruned a few young maples, and we each took a bow saw to a gazzillion mulberry trees. Man--they grow fast. Really a great weekend!!
    earl