Thread: General Professoinal Finishes vs Retail Products

General Professoinal Finishes vs Retail Products

I've always used Target finishes in the past, but was reading around a bit and found that some folks like General Finishes alot better. I started looking into them and am confused by the two different product lines. The High Performance Polyurethane seems popular on the "Retail" side, but I'm not sure how that compares to the Enduro Clear Poly or the Enduro-Var.

Does anyone have any experience with both lines? Particularly with spraying them?

I can't explain the "professional" vs the "retail" thing. I'm guessing it has to do with supporting various distribution channels. But products from both lines are readily available. You just buy it from a different store.

I've tested GF's Enduro Clear Poly against their Enduro-Var. Enduro-Var is somewhat more resistant to alkalines like Windex. But you have to leave a puddle on for hours to see the effect. The Clear Poly is slightly easier to spray; the Enduro-Var orange peels if I'm not careful. The Clear Poly doesn't yellow under strong long sun exposure, but the Enduro-Var does.

I only have experience with Clear Poly. I have used it on two sets of cabinets and a dining table and a coffee table. I like it and experience it to spray very well and to be reasonably durable.

My experience is very much like Jamie's. I've used many gallons of HP Poly and EnduroVar, a few of Enduro Clear Poly, and a single one of Enduro White Poly.

HP Poly and Enduro Clear Poly both spray like a dream for me. HP Poly contains a UV inhibitor package that protects the finish from UV aging. From what I can tell, it works very well. I did a small cherry project with it about 5 years ago and I see no change in the color comparing the inside where no light gets to to the outside. Both products are exceptionally clear and form a smooth hard surface. HP Poly is less chemically durable than Enduro Clear Poly, however, it is easily attacked by ammonia cleaners and hot objects damage it. Enduro Clear Poly has the highest abrasion resistance of the three products.

EnduroVar is the most chemically resistant of this group of products. It also has high heat resistance. Nothing much bothers it that it would be exposed to in a kitchen or bath environment. It is on par with Arm-R-Seal from a durability standpoint. I didn't try Scrubbing Bubbles or Draino, however, so I can't say about those. EnduroVar gave me fits spraying it because it wanted to orange peel or creep/sag on a corner. Then I got a pressure assisted HVLP gun that allows me to spray with a smaller orifice. Now EnduroVar sprays great; beautifully flat surfaces. EnduroVar is said to light age, but I haven't been able to see it yet in pieces that are 3 or 4 years old. It does have a slighly amber hue straight out of the can, however.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    My experience is very much like Jamie's. I've used many gallons of HP Poly and EnduroVar, a few of Enduro Clear Poly, and a single one of Enduro White Poly.

HP Poly and Enduro Clear Poly both spray like a dream for me. HP Poly contains a UV inhibitor package that protects the finish from UV aging. From what I can tell, it works very well. I did a small cherry project with it about 5 years ago and I see no change in the color comparing the inside where no light gets to to the outside. Both products are exceptionally clear and form a smooth hard surface. HP Poly is less chemically durable than Enduro Clear Poly, however, it is easily attacked by ammonia cleaners and hot objects damage it. Enduro Clear Poly has the highest abrasion resistance of the three products.

EnduroVar is the most chemically resistant of this group of products. It also has high heat resistance. Nothing much bothers it that it would be exposed to in a kitchen or bath environment. It is on par with Arm-R-Seal from a durability standpoint. I didn't try Scrubbing Bubbles or Draino, however, so I can't say about those. EnduroVar gave me fits spraying it because it wanted to orange peel or creep/sag on a corner. Then I got a pressure assisted HVLP gun that allows me to spray with a smaller orifice. Now EnduroVar sprays great; beautifully flat surfaces. EnduroVar is said to light age, but I haven't been able to see it yet in pieces that are 3 or 4 years old. It does have a slighly amber hue straight out of the can, however.

John
    John, what spraying setup (gun, needle size, diluton, etc) do you use to spray Endurovar? I tried several times with a 4-stage Fuji turbine HVLP and could not get rid of the orange peel.