Thread: Deck Chair Design

Deck Chair Design

Fellow Creekers,

A very good friend has asked me to build some deck furniture for her. This is a design of the chair of my own. Please look over it and let me know what you think.

Stats:
    Seat Height: 17 3/4"
    Seat Width: 19"
    Seat Depth: 17.5"
    Back Height: 19"
    Back angle: 105 degrees from horizontal seat
    Joints: Mortise and Tenon

One of my concerns is that I have a seat slat that runs between the front two legs. I think there is to big of a gap (about 7/8") between the second slat and the front legs. Could narrow-up the first slat.

Another thing I'm considering is using pocket screws instead of M&T. Mainly because I've never attempted M&T's.

I'm open to other suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks,
    Bobby Hicks
    <mailto:cadman642000@yahoo.com>

Bobby, I think you need to "wrap" that front slat around the back of the legs to make it look right. Otherwise, I like the design...although I hope that a more "uniform" coloration is in the final product... hee hee
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bobby,

I agree with what Jim said about the front slat. Wrapping it is a good idea and I think I'd taper the back edge a bit also.

Additionally, the back seems "stiff" to me. I'd like to see it curve from side to side a little -- seems like it would be more comfortable that way.

Regards,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Thanks for the inputs so far.

I would be concerned about wrapping the 1st slat around the leg, wouldn't be very much material there. I would opt. for making the 1st slat the same width as the leg. Then, space/move the rest of the seat slats.

As the back being stiff, I thought about that. Is there any guidelines for curving the back?

I plan on getting some cheap material to make a prototype.

Keep 'em coming.
    Thanks,
    Bobby Hicks

Also, posted finish question on that forum.
    Thanks,
    Bobby Hicks

Bobby, that's a nice start. Are you really attached to exposed top of the front legs? I think I would cut them flush with the front rail. Then make the front slat full width.

I see you already are thinking about curving the back. I don't know if there are any guidelines for that curve but you might look at some existing chairs and figure out what sort of curve was used on them.

I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

Update to Deck Chair

Creekers,

I've made a few changes.

I've fixed the seat slat mismatch by making the front slat the same width as the leg and snugging the rest up to the leg.

I've curved the back.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

P.S. Don't pay any attention to the grain. Only illustration and to get rid of mixed colors.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks,
    Bobby Hicks

Bobby, it's coming along but I think the back is angled back too much. I think it will make the user slide off the front.. See what happens if you bring the back up about halfway to vertical.

The seat curve appears a bit too deep as well. You might want to take a look at an Adirondack chair to get an idea of the curve. You could use the curve from the base of the backrest forward to the depth of your chair's seat.

Edited to add: Maybe the curve should not be circular as you have drawn it. I think the deepest part should be closer to the backrest. From the side view, it makes me feel like slumoping down.

The curve on the back looks better. I'm still not a fan of the exposed front legs. Especially for outdoor furniture.

I think you're going to have some nice chairs when you get them made. BTW, what kind of wood are you planning to use?