Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T-track instead of dogs

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    I've thought the same thing many times, but my thinking is now morphing into getting a piece of 3/4" thick MDF, and recessing the T-tracks into it. I haven't really thought about whether I would leave the MDF loose or fasten to my bench in a few places with screws.
    MDF doesn't do well in my humid climate. I like the white pre-laminated ply you get at Home Depot, but only for clamping fixtures.

You could (irony fully understood) mount your t-track to a large sheet of MDF, and use pegs to hold it in place with the bench's dog holes.

I am partial to dog holes because that's how I've 'grown up'. I trust them for hard planing. The other thing I like is that once the right accessories are made like a planing stop or bench hook, the fixed position of the dog holes makes setting and resetting them up precisely for your ergonomics quick. With t-track the flexibility can be a pain when what I really want is repeatability. I feel that with my drill press which HAD t tracks for the fence.

I mean, I think t-tracks were great when I was making a wide variety of things. Nowadays, I tend to make the same kind of thing over and over again, and appreciate repeatability.

Blog Entries
    My bench is embarassing compared to most / all. It is layered MDF with an oak edge. I have a quick release vise and lift it onto sawhorses when I need to use it. I recessed two T-tracks on it in addition to dog holes. I have planing stops and other accessories that work with the tracks (square jigs for glue ups, etc.). I have hold downs and dogs for the dog holes. I use both the T-track and the dog holes.

I will build a new and better bench. I debate about the T-track for the new bench. Maybe in the infill for the split top?
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"