Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Tape Measure??

Accuracy isn't really all that important in a tape measure unless you are talking about the relative accuracy of using it for inside and outside measurements. Of course if you are using multiple measuring devices interchangeably then you have really big problems to worry about

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I tend to use the old wooden folding ruler quite a bit. Folks laugh. My tape measures seem to break easily. Which tape measures do you folks use? What length do you recommend? I don't want one that is metric on half the tape.
    I use a folding ruler, too.

I have 12, 16, and 25 ft tape measures (a mix of Stanley and Lee Valley I think) for when I need something longer.

16' Stanley is my go to right now, I like the form and it is pocketable in my weekend jeans.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    There is a Lufkin 10' ,iirc, that has bee in my pocket since I found it in a Home Depot parking lot about 30 years ago. It comes in handy, but the first few inches have become unreadable.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Dewalt and Milwaukee both make good ones that stand out straight for 8' or more. I use tape measures to rough guess room dimensions and other things where I always find myself extending it out, trying to reach something out of reach without bending it. I like a nice arched thick tape that will extend out straight when needed.

I have a few around here and there including a couple Stanley FatMax that hold up well over a distance but unless I'm doing rough work (and even them mostly) I use a folding ruler.

Tape measure do not rank high when it comes to building furniture, except for laying out the initial rough cuts of the boards. However an accurate tape measure - one you really trust - can do double duty when it comes to measuring and cutting long boards.

The important features for me in a tape measure are that it needs to be metric and imperial (I use both), the numbers must be easily read (black numbers on a white or yellow background), the blade must be stiff (3/4" wide is best) since they are more often required to measure up a wall, and the locking mechanism must be easy to use and reliable.

I favour the Tru-lock mechanisms of Starrett and use a 25'/8m as a general purpose tape measure.

For fun, I have just picked up a Festool tape ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

I can't believe nobody has posted my favorite. The only tape measure I know that you can customize to your own requirements and preferences for accuracy.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...59&cat=1,43513

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I favour the Tru-lock mechanisms of Starrett and use a 25'/8m as a general purpose tape measure.

That's a great measure, though unfortunately it's no longer made in the US and a lot of recent reviews are negative. How much do you want for yours? :-)

How much do you want for yours? :-)
    Patrick, I have used these for many years, but the one I have has the metal hook in a fixed position (a result of a repair). It is very accurate in this state as long as it is used from the outside of a board. It cannot be used for internal measurements. As a result of this thread, I just picked up another - NOS - on eBay. They are available, and for reasonable dollars - no more than a modern, lesser tape measure. The Festool tape was a fun purchase. It is smaller, just 5m in length, also metric/imperial, and gets good reviews (but is not cheap). It may make a great tape to use on my bench. I tried wooden rules over the years, and cannot get on with them. I have steel rules for measurements up to 1m.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I use steel rules for up to 3' for measuring. In my small shop there is no need for a very long tape. I use the Lee Valley 10' models that read right to left as I am right handed. These tapes match my rules (where others will be off up to a 1/32" over 18" or more) so that's a plus. I don't think it really matters as long as the tape semi-matches reality as they are only for rough work in my shop anyway.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I primarily use a 12' Stanley tape I bought at Lowes. It is small and light. However at the bench, I will use a broken end of a 72" folding rule or my antique 24"
    no.68 Stanley folding boxwood rule. I often will take a length of scrap as a story stick.

+1 on the FastCap. When I use a tape, this is the one I prefer.

Try one of these

http://www.hultafors.com/about-our-p...ith-precision/

Video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ovuFoiVwr0

Measuring and marking without a pencil, circles drawn straight from the tape and more. I do like the Fastcap tapes though.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    I can't believe nobody has posted my favorite. The only tape measure I know that you can customize to your own requirements and preferences for accuracy.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...59&cat=1,43513
    +1 on this tape. Plus it is perfect if you are building an Ark as it comes not just in metric and imperial versions, but they even have a model with increments in Mesopotamia cubits.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty