Thread: Saw questions.

Saw questions.

Have heard a lot of you discussing the new cabinet type saws.Every time I go into Hartville tool I walk over and drool at the General cabinet saw.I have also been looking at the new Craftsman cabinet saw.Both of them look very good to me.The Craftsman can be bought at less than half the cost of the General,especially when it is on sale.Along the same lines is the Delta Unisaw,and Jet also makes a fine looking saw,for around $1500.Is the Craftsman a true cabinet saw or just an imitation?How does it compare to the General?I have a Craftsman table saw about 6 yrs.old.It does a pretty good job,but it is hell to tune it up,align the blade with the miter gauge slots.Been thinking about putting it up for sale and upgrading to a cabinet saw.

Hi Dale, I asked about the same thing a while back. You might check out this old thread for some info. Also you can do a search on here for each model your looking at. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ighlight=22124I ended up with the 22124, works for me !

Not really in the same class

While the new Craftsman saw may be better than the CS style, it is not in the same class as the General 650, PM66, delta Unisaw, or the Jet and may others of the true "cabinet" type saws. Are they worth the money? Only you can say. In the same area, money wise is the General International CS. A well built, heavy saw with nice cast iron extensions and left tilt. I wanted a better saw for many years and just could not afford the 2K+ price tag for a General 650 or PM66. I finally found a good used PM66 for $1,000, a price I could afford. The used machine is an option that many overlook.

CPeter

Scott,THX for the comeback.I went there and read all the responses.In later years I have realized very much that buying the best tools are the best way to go.You will have them for a lifetime,and pass them on to someone else.I dont really need to step up to a better saw,my old Crafstman will probably outlast me.But now that I am retired I thought it would be nice to upgrade.Think I will just put my old Craftsman up for sale,along with a Craftsman radial Arm,and a miter saw.and go from there.Probably invest in a General cabinet saw and a Good sliding miter saw,to replace the radial arm and miter saw.it will give me a little more room in the shop.

CPeter,THX for your comeback too.I may just look around for a used unit.

Radial arm saw recall

Are you aware of the recall on ALMOST ALL Craftsman radial arm saws? Selling it without the upgrade may have some liability issues. I thought about selling mine, but decided for peace of mind to send it back and get the $100. I had not used it in 4 years since the recall was announced. I did buy a Dewalt 708 slider and find it really does a very good job. Much more accurate than a radial arm.

http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/index2.htm

CPeter

CPeter,I purchased mine used,it is quite old.The one with the battery and the digital readout for height,miter,etc.It has always been quite accurate,and the only thing I use it for is crosscutting.Between that and the miter saw stand,they take up a lot of room in the shop.I just pulled out the operators manual for the radial arm,it was printed in 1990,so the saw is around 15 yrs.old.It is listed as a 10 inch Electronic Radial Saw.Anyway I figure if I can sell the RA and miter saw and replace them with a sigle unit,(a sliding miter)it would save some space.I will see what I can find out about any recalls.THX again.

8. Dale, its an official recall registered with the CPSC, and you can find details on it at this link: http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/index2.htm

The affected saws in the 10" range were manufactured from 1958 through 1992, so your saw may be one of the ones eligible for the retrofit kit. If the kit can't fit your saw, then the $100 refund is given to you.

The problem with you selling the saw without going through this exercise is that you now bear some of the liability ... you were told there might be a recall. So you're stuck, unless you find out if your saw is not affected, can be retrofitted, or should not be sold and should be turned in for the $100.

A lawsuit would probably only take what your homeowner's insurance will cover, but your other assets could be taken as well (usually that doesn't happen, but it can).

Frank,THX for the site.checked mine out,it is one of the listed saws.Looks like it is just an upgrade for the guard.I will call them and try to get things fixed up.

Frank,THX again.I just called the 800 number and they are sending me the kit to correct the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Rodabaugh
    ...Is the Craftsman a true cabinet saw or just an imitation?How does it compare to the General?...
    Whether or not you consider the 22124 a "true" cabinet saw depends on how you define cabinet saw. It does have a fully enclosed cabinet and cabinet mounted trunnions. IMO, it's more like a "cabinet saw junior" or "cabinet saw light" when compared to the General 650. The 650 is an industrial grade saw with massive trunnions and almost twice the HP. It's intended to run 24/7 for decades under hard use with minimal care. The 22124 is clearly intended for home shop use and I think it does a great job in that environment. It has several advantages over traditional contractor saw IMO...many of them the same as a full cabinet saw.

I've been very happy with my 22124 for what I do, but will make no claims that it was ever intended to compete with the General. The General International 50-260 that was mentioned is a rational choice for a serious home shop and even some industrial use. It's closer to the General 650 in power and ruggedness than the 22124 yet costs < $1300. The 22124 is tough to beat on sale, but at full price I'd be leaning towards an entry level cab saw like the GI.

http://www.epinions.com/content_184778395268
    Last edited by scott spencer; 09-20-2005 at 5:18 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

12. Quote Originally Posted by Dale Rodabaugh
    Frank,THX again.I just called the 800 number and they are sending me the kit to correct the problem.
    Yep, government mandated recalls can be a wonderful thing! The CPSC has to approve the terms of the recall so its usually pretty fair to the consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Hagan
    Yep, government mandated recalls can be a wonderful thing! The CPSC has to approve the terms of the recall so its usually pretty fair to the consumer.
    In a polite way I don't consider $100 dollars for a good working 12" 1967 Craftsman RAS pretty fair to me the consumer especially since the saw belonged to my Dad.

For those that have saws not on the list for the safety up grade here is what WISHA (Washington States OSHA) recommended to me to make a guard of Lexan that comes down along the left side of the blade guard & there has to be a piece of Lexan at a 90 degree angle to vertical piece at its bottom & should be longer then from the tips of your left hand fingers to your wrist & should stick well out in front of the blade so if your hand is in the way it will knock your hand out of the way before the blade can cut it. They also recommended using a cord ( drape cord) & a pulley at the back of the saw connect the cord to the saw carriage & run it back to the back end of the arm & through a pulley & put a weight on the line to pull the head back & he said just a coke can filled with pebbles fastened to the cord would do the trick. You can slot the Lexan so the guard will move up & down a little. I just quit using the saw during work hours & only use it for hobby related work. Some day I'll make the guard as it as it is I don't use the saw very often. But wouldn't exchange it for a SCMS. I also have a 12" CMS Just to the left of the RAS. I actually use a 10" carbide blade on it but still have the 12" regular steel blades my Dad used for cutting framing material on it all sharpened up & ready to use if I need to cut something large like framing material for a new shop .
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 09-20-2005 at 10:37 AM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

My 1986 or so craftsman saw was on that recall list. They sent me the upgrade guards, plus a new table top.
    It's all in a box somewhere, never opened.

Well my upgrade kit is on the way.I will install it then put the saw up for sale.I understand Emerson,evidently the manufacturer of the saw will buy it back for $100.I dont think so,it is definitly worth more than that.If it dont sell I will continue using it.It does its job very well.Only problem is between it and my miter saw they take up quite a bit of room,whereas a sliding miter saw would do the job of both and take up a lot less space.I have gotten a lot of good info here on replacing my table saw.I will see if it sells,if so I will be looking at a new cabinet saw.THX to all of you who have given me tips on the various saws. Dale