Thread: Fish glue for leather to metal glueing

Fish glue for leather to metal glueing

Just wanted to note that Lee Valley fish glue has worked well for me to attach leather to metal for holdfasts and clamps. Initially I used double sticky fastcap speedtape (leather shears off), then contact cement which also failed after the while, fish glue was the ticket. I have not tried this with the hide glue. I do use hide glue for leather to wood, definitely makes for a nice and stiff strop.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America
    Does the fish glue have a shelf life? Many animal-protien glues do.

I just use Goop (same as, afaik, E6000) for most "this-to-that" fixing.

I think it is a year or two, but for this sort of noncritical application it could be more. I have been using 3 year old liquid hide glue for leather to wood on vise jaws, etc., and it has been good.
    Goop probably works well, but it really stinks up the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krieger View Post
    Does the fish glue have a shelf life? Many animal-protien glues do.

I just use Goop (same as, afaik, E6000) for most "this-to-that" fixing.

A 19th. C. recipe(sp?)book I have recommends hide glue mixed with some tannin powder to glue leather to leather,as in leather belting for machines that ran off of line shafting back then.

I have never trued fish glue,as it is so prone to loss of strength via humidity. The old Spanish guitar makers used it. It is just another form of hide glue. I think it was made from sturgeon air bladders. At least the good glue.