Thread: What kind of wood is this?

What kind of wood is this?

I bought this table top at a garage sale - it was made sometime in the past 50 years by a weekend woodworker who passed away. It's very heavy for it's size which makes me think it's not mahogany, but I haven't worked with mahogany much so I might be wrong.

Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 11.07.26 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-01-21 at 11.07.47 PM.jpg
    What do any of you think it might be? - it's finished with a thick coat of varnish, btw.

Mahogany is my first reaction.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

My first thought too was some kind of mahogany. Sapele? Khaya?

Erik, Prashun - mahogany was my first thought, but would mahogany be very heavy? This table feels heavier than it would if it was, say, beech. The little mahogany I've handled has been light weight, but maybe there are different types?

It would, but is it solid or veneered? Be unusual to find a solid mahogany table top.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Believe it or not it's solid. I'm guessing it was made back when mahogany was there for the picking.

Yes, there are different types of mahogany and that is what it looks like to me as well. Those boards have pretty heavy striping but mahogany can certainly be that way.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Mahogany it is then.

nice garage sale score