Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser cuttable template for Eiffel Tower ?

Laser cuttable template for Eiffel Tower ?

Hi guys,
    I am trying to track down a scale size template for the eiffel tower and other major landmark buildings, suitable for laser cutting.
    I have seen one I think, but it was so out of proportion that it wasnt suitable...the other I saw was a scroll saw creation, That was truly magnificent in its proportions and accuracy. The problem with it was it was only suitable for scroll sawing and required bevelled edging etc all over..

Can anyone help ?

Kindest Regards

Peter
    Never limit yourself by the shortsighted belief of others.

Peter,

I'm not sure which forum it was on,(might be the engraving etc) but I remember that there a discussion about this & there was a downloadable plan on the Eiffel tower site. Sorry I can't be more specific, but it's a place to start.

Linda

Peter,

Below is the link to the thread on modeling with lasers. There is a link in one of the posts to a vector plan.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=eiffel+tower

Thanks for that Keith,

Pardon my total ignorance though, I can only find one side of the tower on that link, no platforms etc. its all disjointed ( thousands of parts)..am I missing something?

regards

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    Keith ,Thanks so much for you help here. The link does give you an eiffel tower dxf file and it looks like the tower, but it is not a 3D model as they indicate, it is only one side and as per a dxf file every part is not joined..requiring a "weld" in corel. so there are no angles, no platforms, no distances, no heights, widths etc, the balustading lays over the top of the rest of the tower so you just cant drag it away..it is a real mess.for those use to this situation it is probably a godsend, but for me it is truly a schermozzle.Has anyone else used this model ( proportionately it Looks correct " sideon")to produce the model ?How did you go about it ? I am more than happy to reimburse you for your plan should you wish to share it.regardsPeter

Peter, I haven't said anything since I've not yet completed my Eiffel project. I've taken the dxf file and spent a lot of time modifying it to a corel file which should be suitable for laser cutting. I'm probably about 80% done, but the last 20% will take the longest to do. Then I'll need to cut some models to fine-tune the drawings and minimize field fitting.
    Perhaps I can send you a portion of what I've done and you can give me some feedback as to whether it fits your needs or not. If you are willing to put some effort into this project with me, take this off-list and email me direct.
    ~Joe

Quote Originally Posted by J Porter
    Peter, I haven't said anything since I've not yet completed my Eiffel project. I've taken the dxf file and spent a lot of time modifying it to a corel file which should be suitable for laser cutting. I'm probably about 80% done, but the last 20% will take the longest to do. Then I'll need to cut some models to fine-tune the drawings and minimize field fitting.
    Perhaps I can send you a portion of what I've done and you can give me some feedback as to whether it fits your needs or not. If you are willing to put some effort into this project with me, take this off-list and email me direct.
    ~Joe
    Joe, there is no email link in your profile.

regards
    Peter

Peter....Look up J Porter in the membership list. On the right side of his profile is a button....send an email. Using this doesn't put one's email address in public and protects their privacy. You can also send a private message from the membership profile page.

Good luck!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    Peter....Look up J Porter in the membership list. On the right side of his profile is a button....send an email. Using this doesn't put one's email address in public and protects their privacy. You can also send a private message from the membership profile page.

Good luck!
    Thanks Ken,
    Tried that , but it says this person doesnt want to receive emails, contact the administrator. I did send a PM.

regards
    Peter

This one sure is a difficult one aint it !

regards
    Peter

I know this thread is 6 months old, but since I just joined the forum yesterday, and thought I might be able to shed some light on what people saw here, I thought I'd toss out a reply anyway.

I loaded the dxf file into AutoCAD, and also loaded the .obj file into Lightwave3D. Both of them gave me true 3D models. Be aware that most programs that import DXF only import a limited version of it and most can only display certain types of objects in it (often only in 2D).

Below is a screen capture from Lightwave showing the 3 sided views and a perspective view. The model isn't done properly in that I had to convert the 10,000 polygon surfaces in it into double sided polygons for them to render correctly.

If the attachment doesn't work, the image is also here: http://www.redtengu.com/images/raw/tower.jpg

This model isn't really meant to be cut from flat materials to make a physical model. It's a 3D model for rendering and animation. It would take a LOT of work to slice it up into roughly flat sections to be able to build it out of flat materials.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Like this one?

http://www.finescrollsaw.com/Eiffel%...lliard%201.jpg

Contact Pedro and have him email me and I think we can work something out. It's his scrollsaw pattern but I've modified it to cut with a laser out of 3mm acrylic (or BBPly if you want).

Guy Hilliard
    Sawdust and Noise

Hi all
    a while ago i worked on a eiffel Tower cutout. I have a raster and vector file.It is a big file in corel12 . i will try to attach it but anyone can email me and i'll be glad to send it.
    you can ungroup the file and play around with it.

abdul.
    sorry cannot attach it

Hi Abdul, I would like a copy of that file please. Cheers, Mike