Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carbide tip planer knives?

Allan,.....George Wilson likes Dispozablade. Can't find the specs now but I know I've read they only come in T1 and carbide. One guy I worked for had just bought TWO new sets of Powermatic planer blades when I proved they were inferior to real high speed speed . He was amazed at the difference and wrapped up the two lousy sets and marked them "don't use".

Why even plane the all wood. Are you going to use 4-5000 board feet on a project now. A experienced wood worker advised to dress/plane/cut the wood you need for your current project not the one in the distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    Would you do this, or get lots of HSS blades?
    Define "lots"? I'd have three sets. A set in the planer, a set in case the set in the planer gets damaged, and a set either going to the sharpener/coming back from the sharpener/back from the sharpener.

Unless you hit metal or it's a really gritty, nasty lumber, one set of knives should handle that amount of lumber no problem. Especially skip planing rough lumber.

My problem was my supplier of oak sanded the boards to thickness and the trapped sand in the boards was eating up my blades faster than I could keep up or want to pay for more blades. Remember Dewalt blades are not resharpenable.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Define "lots"? I'd have three sets. A set in the planer, a set in case the set in the planer gets damaged, and a set either going to the sharpener/coming back from the sharpener/back from the sharpener.

Unless you hit metal or it's a really gritty, nasty lumber, one set of knives should handle that amount of lumber no problem. Especially skip planing rough lumber.

Yeah, I didn't have a good idea of what to expect. (thanks) This seems like a good way to go. Although, I don't see the point in sending out a $35 set of knives. After shipping, I might as well just keep buying new ones, or sharpen them myself on the machine.

- I m still intrigued by those ST-1 blades, and now I'm also considering Dispozall, so not out of the woods yet. - but I've ruled out the carbide tipped.