Thread: Face shields: coated v. not

Face shields: coated v. not

Is there any downside to the coated replacement shields (for Bionix)? I don't have any problem with the shield fogging up, so wouldn't choose it for that advantage. Sometimes coatings make scratches more of a problem, so just wanted to check.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Straw View Post
    Is there any downside to the coated replacement shields (for Bionix)? I don't have any problem with the shield fogging up, so wouldn't choose it for that advantage. Sometimes coatings make scratches more of a problem, so just wanted to check.

Jamie,

I caught the entire rig on sale so bought the coated lens and headgear five dollars cheaper than the unit with the uncoated lens sold for. I didn't find it particularly easy to scratch, or particularly fogproof in Louisiana. At a third of the price I bought two of the uncoated shields for replacements. Haven't gotten around to trying one yet. If it fogs worse I'll buy a bottle of anti-fog for a couple bucks or use one of the homebrew solutions.

Hu

I haven't used the uncoated lens. The coated lens after about eight years of use is now starting to oxidize. It is getting little dark spots on it and the lens seems to be darkening as a whole. I need to buy a new lens for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Bonertz View Post
    I haven't used the uncoated lens. The coated lens after about eight years of use is now starting to oxidize. It is getting little dark spots on it and the lens seems to be darkening as a whole. I need to buy a new lens for mine.

Dale,

How aggressively have you cleaned your faceshield? I have some things on mine, sap, resin, possibly a little finish. I have washed my faceshield with plain water and with Dawn dish liquid but I wanted to have something on hand in case I ruined the lens with something I shouldn't have tried. Have you used alcohol or solvents, anything stronger than I have tried? My shield is just dirty. Aside from other things it looks like it has some oil spots on it but the Dawn didn't impress them.

Edit: Not my favorite place to shop but Wal-Mart has the face shields at the same price as everyone else if you don't need to place an order for other things. Free shipping to your local store and grab them any time within ten days after notification. Have to pay taxes but not a terrible deal. They are trying to integrate online and storefronts so you order online and pick up at the store if you want to.

Hu
    Last edited by hu lowery; 04-16-2016 at 8:54 AM. Reason: additional info

I have one of those, uncoated, and splatter from certain green woods seems to literally etch the plastic if you don't clean it promptly -- walnut, off the top of my head.
    Last edited by Bob Bouis; 04-16-2016 at 9:22 AM.

Not aggressive Hu but I do clean it regularly. Mainly getting dust and such off of it. I use the glass cleaner out of the can that foams. Much like you get from windshield companies. It may have something in it causing the minor issue. After eight years it is probably time to replace the lens anyway. I imagine over time the material they are made of most likely weakens. I use the protector film that The sanding glove sells over the main lens. I replace those whenever needed. My shield surprisingly is not scratched or very lightly because of that protective film.