Thread: Thin Wall pvc retailers?

Thin Wall pvc retailers?

I'm finally putting ductwork in my shop, while my cobbled up system works it's time to upgrade. I'm having trouble finding thin wall plastic pipe if you can believe that. If you used this in your shop where did you get it? I'm in west central Illinois and can get to St Louis or Springfield in an hour or so. The closest I've found so far is in Vincennes Indianna...
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time

Look for a plumbing supply house, the ones that contractor's use.

The best place in my hometown is the local plumbing wholesaler, like Jason said, the one that contractors use.

I just bought the SDR 35 in 6" size for my dust collection from Menards. They also have 4". I waited until they had there 11 per cent off sale.

This is who I bought mine from last year... pretty reasonable considering that anyone else I would have had to order from all wanted twice the price and about 5 times the quantity I would need for a minimum order. Plus they were local for me.. not sure if this will work for you, but I was very pleased with their service and willingness to support the "Little Guy".

http://www.upvinc.com/?q=contact-us - Underground Pipe and Valve - they have several stores all in the IN., IL., and MI area.
    Drew

You may also check with cement suppliers. In addition to selling mixed up cement many of them also sell a lot of related products like S & D pipe. That's who I bought my 6 inch pipe from recently and my 4 inch pipe about 15 years ago. And they are generally cheaper than even plumbing supply places.

Suppliers to the irrigation trade may also be helpful.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In addition to farm supply (AGRA Supply) and irrigation suppliers, try John Deere Landscapes or Ferguson Waterworks. Both have locations nationwide. If JD asks, say, "Why yes, I'm a landscaper/contractor," otherwise they'll attempt to charge you double. Make sure you ask for the correct stuff - S&D ASTM 2729, thin wall gravity drain, solid perf, etc. not just S&D, not SDR 35, nor sched 40. Fittings are available at Lowes- in the irrigation and drainage area, not the plumbing area (fittings will be labelled SDR 34/35, some may be made from polypropylene instead of PVC (not a problem)- ACE hardware, Menards, McMaster-Carr- whoever has it the cheapest.

The local irrigation warehouse is where I found my ASTM 2729 6" pipe. I got all my fittings at McMaster-Carr (ordered online). Use 2 45s to make up a long-ish radius 90. When you see the price of 6" Sch40 fittings, you'll know you're in the wrong section so follow Alan's advice above for fittings.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I just finished building my dust collection system. I used 4 inch DB120 electrical conduit. The ID is larger than the plastic blast gates I used, so I reduced the ID by using a coupling to 4 inch schedule 40 at the blast gate. I had to buy the Y connectors at the local plumbing store.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    The local irrigation warehouse is where I found my ASTM 2729 6" pipe. I got all my fittings at McMaster-Carr (ordered online). Use 2 45s to make up a long-ish radius 90. When you see the price of 6" Sch40 fittings, you'll know you're in the wrong section so follow Alan's advice above for fittings.
    Cris, I keep looking at McMaster-Carr for these specific fittings as I can't seem to find them anywhere else. I keep stopping due to possible high shipping costs. i see you're in Ca like I am (central, south of Fresno), how bad are shipping costs to Ca? Add a lot to the price or would consider the shipping costs reasonable? Thanks. Randy

I really can't believe that you all are unable to find the S&D fittings you need locally - Lowe's, Home Depot, *any* plumbing supply wholesaler should have what you need. The weight difference between SDR35 (ASTM D3034) and ASTM 2729 really isn't worth worrying about - the SDR35 is not difficult to install even if it weighs a little bit more, so whichever one you can find locally is the one you should go with. Ordering any of this stuff online simply shouldn't be necessary unless you live in northern Montana or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post
    I really can't believe that you all are unable to find the S&D fittings you need locally - Lowe's, Home Depot, *any* plumbing supply wholesaler should have what you need. The weight difference between SDR35 (ASTM D3034) and ASTM 2729 really isn't worth worrying about - the SDR35 is not difficult to install even if it weighs a little bit more, so whichever one you can find locally is the one you should go with. Ordering any of this stuff online simply shouldn't be necessary unless you live in northern Montana or something...
    That's what everybody keeps telling me. I've been to Lowes, Home Depot, Fruit Growers Supply, local irrigation supply houses (one is checking on this for me now), Orchard Supply Hardware, have contacted my plumbers friends to check with their suppliers (will only order in large quantity), etc. Lots of places carry selected pieces of the 4" but not the 6" and either can't or don't want to order any 6". I have found one irrigation supply house that might be able to order it, they don't carry it (either type) either. The amazing thing is that I am in the central Cal agricultural valley, its all farmland. And I'm not opposed to using SDR35... Randy