Thread: Looking for workshop architect in CA SF Bay Area

Looking for workshop architect in CA SF Bay Area

My wife and I are planning on building a fairly large, mixed use workshop (wood working/turning and glass work) and need help designing it all. Does anyone know an architect that does this sort of design? Any leads would be great.
    Greg Ketell
    "Permanent Turning Newbie" aka "Always trying something new"

See my photo gallery here
    (in need of updating)

Pretty much any architect should be able to help you. You may want to go with someone that does more commercial work. If you are hiring a builder, they usually have someone on staff or relationship with a firm that knows the area and regulations.

Greg; I don't know what 'fairly-large' amounts-to for you ... but, regardless of the size ... and I've designed about 35 houses ... after I've done the preliminary floor layout, I'll go to the client, and using a furniture template, cut-out all the furniture from heavy paper and have the client arrange it on the drawing. A woman can then see the amount of room the layout has for the furniture and how it will fit. It seems that you've been in the 'business' long-enough to know what equipment you will have. Get a large enough piece of cardboard that you can draw a 1/4" = 1' (quarter scale) outline of the 'fairly-large' area. Then make some equipment outlines ... put names on them ... and arrange them according to the work routine you will use. And you have designed your work-shop.

Sounds like you will have a nice shop.
    "We are only limited by our own imagination."

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Puhalovich View Post
    Greg; I don't know what 'fairly-large' amounts-to for you ... but, regardless of the size ... and I've designed about 35 houses ... after I've done the preliminary floor layout, I'll go to the client, and using a furniture template, cut-out all the furniture from heavy paper and have the client arrange it on the drawing. A woman can then see the amount of room the layout has for the furniture and how it will fit. It seems that you've been in the 'business' long-enough to know what equipment you will have. Get a large enough piece of cardboard that you can draw a 1/4" = 1' (quarter scale) outline of the 'fairly-large' area. Then make some equipment outlines ... put names on them ... and arrange them according to the work routine you will use. And you have designed your work-shop.
    I agree 100%. I did this same thing in laying out my small shop three years ago and I am still happy with the layout I designed.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

As a registered architect (unfortunately only in PA, for your case), I’d recommend talking to several local architects before choosing someone. I like to compare it to art or music. You’re not likely to consider hiring the local garage grunge band to play music for your formal tea party or hire a formal portrait artist to design the logo for your business. In my case, I tend toward vintage and historic styles with an emphasis on energy efficiency issues. If a client came to me desiring a Modern or Contemporary design, I have a couple people that I’d refer them to but would be unlikely to take on such a commission myself.

Sam’s suggestion to start considering layout is a good one. Even as a woodworker myself, my own workshop needs are likely different from yours. Having an idea of the equipment you’re using and the space required would be beneficial to me. If you’re looking for more than just a basic box, having pictures of workshops or other spaces that appeal to you would also be of benefit.