Thread: 6" flex hose -- what to buy? where to get it?

6" flex hose -- what to buy? where to get it?

My dust collection is nearing completion. I have 6" pvc pipe up to the last 4 - 6 feet. For the remaining feet I will need a 6 inch flex hose. There is a great variety of flexible hose available. Best recommendations seem to point to smooth interior wall. What are you using? Where did you get it? Is it generating a lot of static electricity? Did you run an interior and/or exterior wire? What am I missing?

Thank you for input.

John Neel

I initially used PVC 6" flex hose in my duct system. It is less expensive than urethane. However, over the course of five years or so, the PVC lost its flex, and eventually started cracking. When I replaced it, I stepped up to urethane, and it is much better.

My hose has no grounding wire, and I've never seen any static shocking.

I use 6" rubber flex hose from Oneida and it's worked out well for me so far. I didn't run static wire on it at all and have no issues with static. My duct work is metal though.

Wynn Environmental has Urethane hose in different wall thickness for a good price in 6 inch. I purchased the 6 inch PVC and it seems very good quality (again at a good price). Min order is 10 ft. Amazon has Flexaust PVC at 6 inch but min order is 25 ft. I use their 5 inch and again seems good quality if a bit heavy and stiff. Has the spiral on the outside, so the internal bore is slightly smoother. If you keep the flex run to a minimum as you are doing, I'm not sure you'll notice much difference between a "smooth bore" and a regular bore hose.
    Like Jamie and Hoang, have never bothered with wire and never had an issue with static. I believe this is not an issue in small shops at least according to the article from Rod Cole

Got mine from Amazon as well. No ground wire.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

I bought from ClearVue. Very heavy duty compared to others I've seen. I did soften the ends with a heat gun to stretch it more easily over some connections. I use no grounding in this 5hp cyclone system.

Got mine on Amazon, Woodstock brand. Works fine for my needs but, as noted in the reviews, calling it a 10 ft length is pretty optimistic.
    http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-W103.../dp/B0000DD2DY

I bought all my flex hose of various sizes from Oneida.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    Why is flex required?
    I'm new to turning so please pardon my stupitity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Why is flex required?
    I don't know the OP's specific need, but I used flex in several places. One, to a machine I roll a few feet at times, one to connect two duct sections at an odd angle, and another for a positionable intake. It is, however, better to use ducts with smooth internal walls where possible.

Bill, not sure this has anything to do with turning, but I believe the OP is asking for recommendations about flexible dust collection hose to bridge the gap between his fixed metal duct and his woodworking machine. By the way, its not stupidity, its called learning about something you are new to :-)

Blog Entries
    Yeah, and I'm low on the learning curve

" I believe the OP is asking for recommendations about flexible dust collection hose to bridge the gap between his fixed metal duct and his woodworking machine. By the way, its not stupidity, its called learning about something you are new to :-) "

Yes, yes, and thank you. That's what I was asking. I too have much to learn. Thank you to those who replied. I always learn and get help here.