Thread: ETS EC 125/3 EQ, Porter Cable Vacuum will not shut off?

ETS EC 125/3 EQ, Porter Cable Vacuum will not shut off?

Like the title says, with the Festool sander I just picked up, the vac will not shut off. There must be a draw with the tool off, and it is the only tool that does that. If I pull the cord off the sander the vac shuts off. If I can't fix it, the sander is going back. I'm not buying a Festool vac just to knip that in the bud. The cost of consumables is silly, almost criminal.

Its a nice sander, light, but it has about the same vibration as a PC, doesn't sand any different, so I am ambivalent about keeping it. The biggest reason that I bought it is because air sanders do not turn on a vacuum, so I thought I would give it a try. Vac shuts off with the Domino, 1010, Bosch sanders, so the problem is with the ETS.

Anyone else? Solution?

That sander has a feature that it will not turn on unless plugged into a vac. There is a switch on the side of the sander that defeats that feature. This maybe what prevents your vac from turning off

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Stanton View Post
    That sander has a feature that it will not turn on unless plugged into a vac. There is a switch on the side of the sander that defeats that feature. This maybe what prevents your vac from turning off
    Russell, i dont know if that is true. I have the 6" version of that machine, and in a pinch have run it with no dust collection hooked up, no problem.
    Larry, sounds like you are soured- at least initially on the cost, and i doubt once that seed is planted that you will be happy with it , ever.
    Really surprised, shocked even to hear you feel its in the same class as a PC!
    Bring it back, and get another one, or something else entirely, you have 30 days.
    Nobody i know in a pro shop is running festool paper- if you want good paper at reasonable cost, you should be buying, or looking at Klingspor. I get mine from Select Machinery.
    I have been on Klingspor paper for about 8 years now, no need to look elsewhere.
    The DC festools and the mirka deros are the two best finish sanders ive used, i like the festool better, and it was at least $100 cheaper than the mirka- smoother and more powerful as well.
    Good luck.

I bought it from Klingspor and a case of paper for it in each of 5 grits. I sanded with the new version of the PC and the Festool, one in each hand, and although the frequency was a bit higher in the PC the vivration was about the same. I saw no difference in speed with both running the same paper. I do like the brake, and the Festool is a bit lighter, and lower. I may see if they will give me a break on the new suitcase vac that will be out May one.

On another note, I bought a Bosch ROS65VC-6 sander at the same time and put it through the paces. An extremely nice sander, fast, no swirl in Makore, no dust when hooked to the vac, comes with an adapter that I did not need as I use a Bosch hose and a nice filter. Way less vibration than the Festool, amazing really. I was going to buy the Festool of the same size/type but thought I would try this, and am ecstatic about its performance/value.

I was on the phone with Festool tech today and there is a feedback loop for the vac hose thing that draws current. Not an idea I am crazy about, when a tool is off I want it OFF. Not much, but enought to keep the vac running.

I'll have to think about it and make a decision. If they will give me a retro package deal on the new Vac that will be the deciding factor whether it goes back. I could mount the suitcase on the cieling over my sanding bench.

Larry

The discontinued Delta/P-C CMS with laser will do the same thing with an older Fein vac. The power supply for the laser is always powered when plugged in even with the laser switch off. Sometimes the vac will shut off, more often it won't. Turn the vac off, turn it back on and it will stay off til the saw trigger is squeezed. It just won't shut off - go to a lower speed yes but not off. Those circuits seem more sensitive than they need to be. I can't think of a tool needing dust collection that draws less than an amp or so.

Well, Festool says I have to deal with the dealer, the dealer says I have to deal with Festool. Klingspor will take the sander back, but not the 5 cases of paper, so being caught between a rock and a hard place I ordered a CT SYS suitcase vac from Fasteners and will keep the sander.

To be fair, I do not think any manufacturers really give a dang about individual purchasers, but I expected a bit more from Festool. Lifes full of little lessons......