Thread: Used Powermatic 141 vs Grizzly G0555LX/G0555X Bandsaw

Used Powermatic 141 vs Grizzly G0555LX/G0555X Bandsaw

There's a $750 Powermatic 141 that I've been eyeing for a couple of weeks on CL... seems to be a pretty nice looking machine. I spent a half hour talking to the guy selling it; he's been running a commercial woodshop for 35 years, and says the saw has always been a tank for him, but he's got too many band saws, so he's looking to maybe make some floor space.

I've never owned a band saw before, and while the ability to resaw sounds intriguing, I'm guessing I probably won't utilize that feature a lot in the near future. I do have ready access to a guy with a band saw mill, who can resaw anything with a width greater than the 6" these saws can handle, so maybe it isn't a big deal.

The Powermatic has the Leeson 3/4HP motor, and the guy said he's run it all day doing resaws without it ever choking on him. He freely admitted I might not need such a heavy saw, and was not willing to budge on the price more than 50 bucks.

The way I look at is, if I'm primarily wanting a saw to do curves and dovetail cleanouts, and have the shop space to invest in a larger resaw machine in the future, even something old I can build/refurb to my taste, then I could invest in the brand new Grizzly now, put some Carter blade guides on it, add some quality blades, and still come out ahead in price from what he wants for the used machine. But part of me is still really hung up on the 141, and wonder if I'm being foolish not buy something which is known to be pretty bulletproof.

Any advice you all have would be appreciated.

It doesn't help that I'm wading through the entire history of Fine Woodworking Magazine, and I'm currently reading all their stuff from when Grizzly was a relative newbie on the tool market, and not that well thought off. I still realize they are on the low end, but it might be a good starter saw for what I am, which is a serious hobbyist.

Joel, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you are more likely to be cutting curves, dovetails etc than resawing. If that is the case, I would go for the new machine that can do that job well. A resaw is really at its best as a production machine and if you have one you can get the use of when you need it, use that ans save your money to buy what you really want. Also, any table saw capable of ripping 3 1/2 inches can easily cut 6 inches by turning the piece over. Not what you want to do as for a big job but it save driving up the road to rip a single piece.

Okay, that's kinda what I'm thinking too. The 141 is heck of a machine (from everything I've read), but it's still pretty steep for the level of work I think I'm going to ask out of a saw. Two years from now? Maybe I'll be ready for that dedicated resaw machine, and I can look into getting an industrial piece, and building into something that's exactly what I want.

4. The Powermatic 141 is a fantastic saw, built like a tank. Just look at the upper wheel attachment shaft and block vs a Delta or other brands. Solid machined steel. The 141 at $750 is reasonable if it is in good shape. I just sold the 1975 model I had for $650 (4 band saws was just too many). Price all depends on condition and location. I will say this, much to the chagrin of others here, but the Grizzly band saws will not come close to a PM 141 in quality or longevity. In addition, they are simple to work on. Now, if you are looking for huge resaw capacity, the 141 is limited in that particular area due to it's solid one piece cast iron frame. But for everyday work, it has few peers in it size range. If you go with the 141, be prepared when you go to load it, they are heavy for a 14" saw!

Condition is everything but bandsaws are simple machines. There have been little or no improvements in 75 years. Saws have been redesigned to allow for different materials to be used since cast iron is now expensive to season and source. I'd take a look. My saws range from 1936, 1938, and 1953. Dave

Buy the PM141,only way you will ever inprove on it is to buy the 20" model.Yes speaking from experience----------------Carroll

I owned a 141 for over 20 years that I bought new in 1990. I did not think of it as a "dedicated resaw machine". Its a heavy, well built bandsaw ideal for cutting curves and smaller things. It can also tension a modest resaw blade. I would not even consider a new Griz even at half the price.

There are a lot of G0555 series owners on this group of forums and I don't recall anyone having anything to say that wasn't complimentary. Do some searching. It is better to hear the opinions of actual owners. (I don't own one)

If you decide not to keep the 141 for the rest of your life (and it will last that long, if you change the bearings when they need it), you can always sell it for what you paid. You won't be able to say that of any saw bought new.

Kirk

Went ahead tonight, drove two hours, and bought the PM 141 for $700... plus got four new Lennox blades to boot. It cuts like like a dream.

Thanks to all for their input - and for talking me into it. I don't think I'm going to regret it.
    Last edited by Joel Hunt; 04-20-2016 at 7:02 AM.

11. Congrats Joel! You will like that saw a lot. The blades were a nice addition. Can't go too wrong with anything that has the Powermatic and McMinnville label on it.

I didn't mean that the 141 would ever be a "dedicated resaw machine," just that I was thinking of purchasing the Grizzly for curves and dovetails, and investing in a heavier, bigger machine (bigger than the Powermatic 141) in a couple of years with a 12" resaw capability, something that I could run a 3/4" blade on, and leave set up for resaw. I'll probably do that too, if I decide I need it, but since I went ahead and got the 141, hopefully I'll end up with TWO machines that are sweethearts - rather than just one. That's not to knock the Grizzly... it's just that I really like the looks of the 141 over it - and it seems most folks agree.

I own a Grizzly G0555Xl, I do resawing and all the normal stuff. No problems with the machine, and has not bogged down yet with anything I have feed it with; Sapele, Maple, Ironwood.
    I will attest, it is worth the money I paid and a little more

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Hunt View Post
    I didn't mean that the 141 would ever be a "dedicated resaw machine," just that I was thinking of purchasing the Grizzly for curves and dovetails, and investing in a heavier, bigger machine (bigger than the Powermatic 141) in a couple of years with a 12" resaw capability, something that I could run a 3/4" blade on, and leave set up for resaw. I'll probably do that too, if I decide I need it, but since I went ahead and got the 141, hopefully I'll end up with TWO machines that are sweethearts - rather than just one. That's not to knock the Grizzly... it's just that I really like the looks of the 141 over it - and it seems most folks agree.
    I'd buy the 141 and later buy a bigger one and keep the 141. I bought a new'ish 141 in 1990 and because of limited space I sold it when I bought a bigger Felder 21" saw. I was really sad to see it go and I think I only got like $550 for it with the factory fence. I would have loved to keep it but I just didn't have the space. I quality heavy saw will run small blades better than a lighter build saw. I've already decided that when I get my retirement shop I'll get another bandsaw (probably larger) for resaw and keep this one for smaller blades.