Thread: My favorite so far

My favorite so far

I'm only 18 months into the vortex, so I am easily impressed by things that would be routine to the veteran woodturners out there. Most of my learning has been with red maple from a tree that fell over in the woods behind my house. I finally cut down the last of it (18" diameter and 12' long), that included the point where the tree was bent over - stressing the wood. When I roughed out this piece I knew it would be special. Finished it is about 9 1/2" in diameter, and 7" tall. I used flash in the first picture to show the chatoyance in the grain. Sorry for my poor photography skills.022.JPG023.jpg024.jpg

Tom - you did really good! Great job on the finish! Do you belong to your local turning club? I know that my mentor, Keith Burns, is from Collierville and he is an active member of http://www.midsouthwoodturners.com/Home.html. Best advice I can offer is to look Keith up and get some one-on-one time with him - or any member of your club. Looks like you have the hollowing & finishing processes down, now you can start experimenting with form.

Looking forward to seeing your next HF!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I belong to the Midsouth Woodturners Guild. They are a great group of people. I actually used a trick I learned last at month's meeting to finish this one. I sanded it to #800, then used a brown paper bag to get the shine. It is the equivalent of #2000-#2500 paper, and it's cheap!

Nothing beats the interaction and learning you get from a local club.

Tom, the brown paper bag trick works but you do have to be careful because it can/will scratch on soft or uncured finishes. If you see Keith at one of your meetings - tell him Hi from me - he has been hard to get a hold of!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Beautiful piece.Do you all see the old mans face in the grain in his picture.022.jpg

I hadn't seen that before. Self portrait in wood!