Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Variable Speed vs Single speed 5" Random Orbit Sanders

Variable Speed vs Single speed 5" Random Orbit Sanders

Those of you that have a 5" Variable Speed Random Orbit Sanders could you tell me if the variable speed has come in handy for you. I am looking at the single and variable speed Dewalt.

Thank you...

I have 3 variable speed random orbital sanders and I seldom run them at anything other than wide open. However, there have been a few situations where the work piece was small or needed very delicate sanding where I was glad I could slow the vibration down. I predict that over time, you would variable speed is worth paying for. By the way, I have the variable speed Dewalt ROS and I like it. It is considerably better than the Ryobi but not quite as good as the Ridgid.

I'm very far from an expert but I have 3 variable speed sanders (1 pc, 2 festool) and to the best of my recollection have never used the variable speed feature.

I do a lot of work in pine and I have used the feature quire a few times. I have the dewalt amd like it very much. I would buy the same one again.

I have never used mine on anything but full speed.

I also have a variable speed multitool. The instructions say to use full speed for everything.

I use my variable speed all the time. I find sanding at grits less than 100 best at lower speeds, then full speed up to about 240, and then slow again for polishing grits.

If you sand between finish coats with a ros, sometimes full speed is too aggressive.

maybe it is a false perception on my part but u should try and lmk what you think.

I have a variable speed Dewalt ROS and probably use speeds of 3 or 4 (out of 5) most of the time. I just go by what feels right and probably adjust the speed based on noise levels more than anything else. I usually put on my Trend Airstream Pro and until recently did not have hearing protection for it.

Steve

I was going to say I couldn't imagine using a sander at slow speed but the above post by Prashun got me thinking. For sanding a finish when there is risk of sanding through it. I could see a use for a slower speed. With that said, I've never had the need for vs but I've learned to use a light touch.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    If you sand between finish coats with a ros, sometimes full speed is too aggressive.

maybe it is a false perception on my part but u should try and lmk what you think.
    No Prashun, you are correct. Full speed on many finishes creates too much heat and the finish can start to melt causing all sorts of issues, especially in tight areas where you can not move fast enough. The other area where it is indispensable is close to edges where you need to be delicate. I would not buy a sander without variable speed.

I'm with Prashun - use variable speed all the time. I have a 5 and a 6".

Yes, it's hard to go back to a fixed speed sander. I also find that a good dust extraction system teams up well with variable speed of your sanding, I find that the air flow allows me to lighten up pressure and let the tool float across the work. I suppose another advantage is that the abrasives stay sharp a bit longer when they run cooler. My sander is a Mirka Ceros, since the power supply is external, the hand held unit is much smaller. I get a better sense of the surface and how aggressively the abrasive is cutting. Often I will start slow when sanding a finish till I get a sense of how it's cutting then bump it up a notch or so if needed.

So yes to variable speed but good dust collection makes it even better.

David

Thank you all

Thanks for all of the input, it really helps getting different perspectives.

In fact, I'd say dust collection is more important of the two. Without it, the surface is more prone to squiggles. I find the paper lasts longer when dc is used.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    That's the reason I slow mine down.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I don't uae a ROS a lot but, if it didn't have variable speed I wouldn't use it at all. I use too many varied materials and grits to just fire it up and hold on ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler