Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sears Closing More Stores

Sears Closing More Stores

The news just indicated Sears is closing more stores along with the K-Mart brand stores this summer. The announcement along with the stores closing is here:

http://searsholdings.mediaroom.com/i...10&item=137430

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I'm surprised they're keeping the one in Albuquerque open. It's like a ghost town every time I go in there.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I'm surprised they're keeping the one in Albuquerque open. It's like a ghost town every time I go in there.
    That's what I was thinking about our local Kmart. Our Sears closed 3 years ago....
    Profanity is the futile effort of a feeble mind, to exert itself forcefully.

I'm surprised the Lorain Ohio Super-K is closing.
    They seem to be the exception to the trend and they always have a decent number of customers.

What's odd is that a number of years ago when I worked at Builder's Square (Kmart owned them), one of the store managers praised the Amherst Ohio K-Mart for being an outstanding store. That was back around 1986/87. K-Mart closed that store in Amherst and reopened it about a quarter mile away & on a larger lot as the Lorain Ohio Super-K. They continued to do well for years.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Can't pretend to be surprised. If you choose to deliver neither quality nor price with lousy customer service the outcome is pretty well preordained.

It's amazing how much Sears changed over the last 50 years. While I was in the Navy in the late 60's, we always bought tires, furniture and clothing there. It didn't matter where I was stationed, there was always a Sears store nearby to honor the Sears (actually Michelan steel belted radials in those days) Road Handler warrantee if needed. When I got out of the Navy, my job required I dress in suits or jacket, slacks and ties. I don't know how many times I got sent out of town and needed to add to my wardrobe or replace a piece I had damaged on the job. A quick trip to the local Sears got me a new matching jacket or slacks. You knew you were getting good quality with that guaranteed customer satisfaction. In the late 70's and early 80's, Sears management experienced a change and it changed it's mission from retail to real estate and beyond. The quality of the products and customer service went down hill from there.

It's just a result of bad management.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken, the Sears in Florence, Kentucky still sales all those tires and has a mechanical shop in it. The K-Mart near there should be closed. It's not a high performing store and has terrible customer service, but didn't K-Mart buy Sears?

It's a shame to watch what was one of the premier retailers self-destruct. I remember in the mid 1970s going into the Burlington MA Sears men's department and ordering 2 custom made suits. I picked out the style, the fabric, and the in store tailor measured me. Six weeks later my suits came from Hong Kong, the tailor marked for the alterations, and 2 weeks later I had 2 very high quality bespoke suits at a very attractive price. Fast forward to today. I'm afraid to even go in and buy a pair of socks the quality is so bad. As for service, the only people you see are at the register.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Back in the day (60's and 70's) it was the only place to go get anything. Today I can't even tell you where the closest sears store is. I just avoid the store all together. Too many bad experiences.

Red
    RED

There was a Sears Hardware store in my town that I used all the time. It closed about a year ago and I miss it. If I wanted a socket or wrench they were my first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Ken, the Sears in Florence, Kentucky still sales all those tires and has a mechanical shop in it. The K-Mart near there should be closed. It's not a high performing store and has terrible customer service, but didn't K-Mart buy Sears?
    Rich...it depends on who you ask...the employees at Sears claim they bought K-Mart.....??????
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The employs at Sears were told it was to be a "merger" and not to buy any stock. When the dust settled Kmart had 1 more seat on the board of directors than Sears.

Bill
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

I went to Sears today to get a torque wrench and ask one of the salesman if the store was closing because there were so many empty pegs. He said no but didn't have a excuse for the low stock.

I have a Sears service contract and had a problem covered by the service contract. On the first call I made, no problem, they would come right out. When the guy was supposed to show up and didn't I called and was told they didn't have a service person in the area. The second time I called a service person called me and said he would not show up because he had a night college class and couldn't get back home in time. Frustrated beyond belief I started making calls to service centers until I got a hold of a customer service rep that took this problem on like a pit bull. She made sure that I had phone numbers and supervisors names and made sure that the service people would show up. They didn't.

Once I finally called one of the numbers she gave me to talk to a supervisor I got a call from service. They told me they didn't service my area. A long story shortened a bit I finally got a third party service person to my house at Sears expense. This took SIX weeks to get resolved. I now know how to get my products serviced.

It seems that they're dead but just don't know it yet.