Thread: Vector Drives and Parabolic flutes -Seriously!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Vector Drives and Parabolic flutes -Seriously!

I had a call from a woodturning friend, [Scott Trumbo-Serious Tool Works] yesterday, and he wanted to touch base about family, etc, and asked if I was going to be able to make it to the AAW Symposium in Atlanta? Unfortunately, circumstances with my schedule and such won't allow that this year [] as I would certainly liked to have been able to take the symposium in for sure! There is a great lineup of demonstrators, and the instant gallery is sure to be a world class display of things off the lathe.

He then asked about the Virginia Symposium, which will be held first week of November. My plans are to make that for sure. He mentioned there is a turner near me, who is going to get the newest version of the Serious SL2542 at the AAW symposium, and will be using it to demo at the Virginia Symposium in November. I will be able to get an up close look at this latest version for sure.

Scott mentioned they have an updated Vector drive on it, which he describes this way...... "This latest version features vector drive, which functions similar to cruise control on a car,--provides amazing torque delivery."

He also mentioned that the turner is going to become an east coast representative for Serious Tool Works. Serious Tool Works is also going through the process of retooling their gouge line, and will begin in September to offer their Ultimate Gouge and M2 gouges with a parabolic flute instead of the V flutes they currently use. He mentioned that they have gotten many requests from turners to offer the parabolic flute configuration. I think I am going to try one of those when they get in stock!

I am a bit of a tool-a-holic, at least that is what my wife thinks. and those who have been in my shop can attest to that, but I am one who likes to keep abreast of what is being offered and is new in the woodworking world. I am also one who likes to share information on these forums, like most of us do......it helps us to know what others experiences are, so when I get the chance to get a bit of time with the SL2542 at the VA. symposium, and get a chance to put one of those new Ultimate parabolics through its paces, I will share my impressions.

I have been wanting to take a spin on one of those Serious Lathes for some time now......maybe this opportunity will give me a better and broader perspective on what to do when it comes time for me to get my final "dream lathe."

I share this, not as a promotional thing, but as informational to the "creeker" family, and invite discussion on parabolic vs. "V"
    flute configurations, and their advantages/disadvantages. and also other things related to types of drives/inverters, etc.
    Your $0.02?

Last edited by Roger Chandler; 04-22-2016 at 8:39 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!