Thread: How to safely removing heavy wax build up?

How to safely removing heavy wax build up?

I had a client ask me today how to safely remove the decades of wax build up on an antique cherry table he owns.

I told him I didn't know but I could ask people who did.

So I'm asking.

I haven't seen the table yet but he's been a client for over 30 years so I know it will be a pretty special table. He said he has tried turpentine and alcohol and they seemed to work but were tediously slow.

Hoping someone here has some experience with this.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    It seems a 50/50 mixture of vinegar & water is the preferred method.

From the web:

Wax Build-Up Remover:

Use caution and test the solution in an inconspicuous spot first. For antiques, it’s best to see a professional.

Combine 1/2 cup white vinegar and 1/2 cup water in a shallow bowl. Spray on, or apply in the direction of the wood grain using a clean, lint-free cloth. (Flannel baby wipes and microfiber cloths are perfect for this.) Immediately rinse with another clean cloth dipped in water. Buff dry using a third dry cloth.
    To remove buildup in crevices, dip a soft brush (i.e., a baby toothbrush) in the vinegar-water solution and scrub the crevice, rinse immediately and buff dry.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

This is a link to a formula from the British Museum [ they say] I have used it with great success many times. As usual test in a unseen spot.
    http://www.woodcentral.com/woodworki...ation-formula/
    In case the link is not allowed, here it is.

8 oz Turpentine
    4 0z Denatured alcohol
    2 oz White Vinegar
    1 oz Murphy's oil soap
    1 oz Brasso
    1 tea spoon household ammonia
    Mix in the order given and shake well.
    Test the area to be cleaned and find out if the finish is shellac (susceptible to softening with alcohol) if so you might want to back out a little alcohol, but it isn't necessary if you keep your eye on the work. If all is going well and you just would like the solution to be a little more aggressive, you can add a little more ammonia (but not more than double) Use in a well ventilated area.
    Last edited by Tom McMahon; 04-22-2016 at 7:39 PM.

Whoa, that is some serious soup!

Interestingly, I know he will have Murphy's oil soap because that's what they have used to clean their wood floors for 30 years based on my recommendation after I installed the floors back when I was a ute.

I'm meeting with him next Wednesday for an unrelated matter and that is when I'll pass on everyone's wax off wisdom.

Thanks, Bruce and Tom so far.

I've always had success with nothing more than mineral spirits. It removes typical waxes and doesn't damage any finish I'm aware of, including shellac. Ammonia and alcohol both attach shellac so I would not use either in any recipe. If the build up is really bad, you can flood mineral spirits on with a rag and work it into the corners with a soft brush, then wipe it off when the wax is dissolved. Repeat until the rags come back clean.

John

John- thanks for that, but I have to ask: over the last few years I'm starting to see both mineral spirits and paint thinner in the stores.

Is there any significant difference? It seems odd to sell them side by side if there isn't any difference. Maybe it's just a "What's in a name?" thing.

Paint thinner might be mineral spirits or it might be the new, odorless (and useless, IMO) paint thinner. Mineral spirits is mineral spirits. Read the label carefully. You want real, 100% mineral spirits for this, and for thinning OB products.

John