Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your favourite way to hold down thin material when laser cutting?

You can purchase vector material from PLASCORE. Look them up on Google.

Robert
    Robert Tepper
    Trotec Rayjet 300/80 Watt
    Dahlgren 500 Engraving Machine, CNC Engraving Machine
    Pad printer with 5 3/4 x 5 3/4" print area
    Jackson Vulcanizers, 15 x 24", three total
    Hegner Scroll Saws, 14", three total

Hi Gene and Mohammed,

here is the original thread about my HDF grid - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...arped-material

It is still used everyday, but the only thing I don't like about the grid is that it soots up the underside of everything I cut, which happened anyway with my steel honeycomb from the material being cut. Otherwise, still no marks in acrylic edges, and the steel holds my magnets great, even through 1/4" material.

The "C" clips were bent from hanger wire with needlenose pliers - real easy, and they hold down ANYTHING (only from the edges).

The HDF is commonly known a tempered hardboard, or Masonite. Easily purchased at any big box store - 1/4" or 1/8".
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

we just lay engineer's files along the edges of the material. Our vector tables are aluminum too.
    Hilton Lister. NZ
    GCC Spirit 60w. Meistergram 912, Gravograph IT, Old Roland Vinyl Cutter, Hand engraving, Retired

Blog Entries
    Aras,

One mildly related thought for you. At least on my Chinese laser I found that nothing is lined up to the plane of the laser head, or to the X and Y axis. My table was not quite level to the plan of the laser head. The Honeycomb frame was definately not square or lined up to anything. Etc. I took time to square everything up to the laser plane and the XY axis and once that was done, my work hold options increased as did my apply to place objects on the table accurately again and again, even when I had removed the honeycomb for cleaning or to make use of the knife edge table.

This kind of repeatabilty and alignment doesnt seem to be a concern in China at all. If they need to work an 8x10 object they will throw in a significantly larger piece of material and cut from that rather than having things line up to start with so they can start with an 8x10. As a woodworker that drives me bonkers. I like repeatability and solid alignment on everything. And I am not even a production shop person. Just serious hobbiest at this point.

Just a thought for you as you ponder work hold options.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

John- it appears your grid is about 1.25"- scaling from the 3/8" square stock? Thanks Gene