Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumbs up to Lie-Nielson

Thumbs up to Lie-Nielson

My Daughter is getting married next month, and the father of the groom is quite a woodworker. I thought I might offer up a little gift to commemorate the occasion so I ordered him a LN Bronze #4. So as not to feel left out, I ordered myself a #4 1/2 smoother, as my stable was lacking one. Both were a delight for the eyes right out of the box. Unfortunately though, the tote on the 4 1/2 had a flaw on one side. It was an inclusion of sorts, probably a pitch pocket. I shot them an email with a photo and they shipped out a replacement tote immediately with their apologies. Not that I expected less, but it's nice when a company responds like that.

As an aside, the 4 1/2 takes great shavings right out of the box. I'll spend a little time honing the blade and tweaking the mouth opening tonight and see how thin I can go.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Do you have any other daughters looking to get hitched? I'm already taken, but I know there are a few folks on this forum that might be in if they're going to get the same deal this guy got. :-)

I had a similar situation with a screwdriver that the shaft started to slip in the handle. They paid shipping and everything to send it back for repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Do you have any other daughters looking to get hitched? I'm already taken, .....
    I think I might be able to sell my wife on that sister-wife concept? It's worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Do you have any other daughters looking to get hitched? I'm already taken, but I know there are a few folks on this forum that might be in if they're going to get the same deal this guy got. :-)
    Nope. Just the one. I'm kind of hoping that future son in law takes up woodworking. My Daughter is an only child, and he's an only Son. Between his Dad and me he stands to inherit a boatload of tools and equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    My Daughter is getting married next month, and the father of the groom is quite a woodworker. I thought I might offer up a little gift to commemorate the occasion so I ordered him a LN Bronze #4.
    Isn't that technically a dowry?

I decided to give my son a gift by which to remember me. I called LN shortly after New Year's and said I wanted to order a bronze # 4 with one favor included: I wanted someone "who knew what they were doing" to inspect the plane since it was being sent straight to Catharine Kennedy for engraving. When she called me saying the plane had arrived and what did I want to do about the signature, I really didn't know what she meant. It seems that Thomas Lie-Nielson had inspected the plane and found it worthy and so signified by signing it. The man is a class act.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Well if it's a dowry then more tools should be included.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Well if it's a dowry then more tools should be included.

and some cows (if you're in my neck of the woods).

Kudus to Lie-Nielson for sorting you out.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    I decided to give my son a gift by which to remember me. I called LN shortly after New Year's and said I wanted to order a bronze # 4 with one favor included: I wanted someone "who knew what they were doing" to inspect the plane since it was being sent straight to Catharine Kennedy for engraving. When she called me saying the plane had arrived and what did I want to do about the signature, I really didn't know what she meant. It seems that Thomas Lie-Nielson had inspected the plane and found it worthy and so signified by signing it. The man is a class act.
    A number of years ago now I purchased the LN #51 shooting plane. I once said to Tom that if he made one, I'd buy it. Well it arrived with his signature. I did not think more about this since I have the Anniversary #4 1/2, which is also signed. Then someone pointed out to me that all other #51s were not signed. It was a really thoughtful touch. Thanks again, Tom.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    and some cows (if you're in my neck of the woods).
    The Labola version?

(Labola = "bride price" in Xhosa)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    As I understand it, the dowry historically went to the new husband as opposed to the husband's family.

As I understand it, the dowry historically went to the new husband as opposed to the husband's family.
    In most cultures, yes. But let's not get precise definitions get in the way of a cheap joke :-).

I'm kind of hoping that future son in law takes up woodworking. My Daughter is an only child, and he's an only Son. Between his Dad and me he stands to inherit a boatload of tools and equipment.
    Maybe she'll be the one to take up woodworking. I've heard it can happen :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Fitzpatrick View Post
    Maybe she'll be the one to take up woodworking. I've heard it can happen :-)
    There's a chance. She's a redhead, so she's capable of anything. Her undergrad is a BFA with a concentration in ceramics and papermaking, so she's a pretty creative kid. She really enjoyed throwing pots. When she lived at home she'd putz around my shop sometimes, but was less enamored with building stuff than with the cool spiral shavings my Stanley #46 would produce. Time will tell.

My Daughter is getting married next month, and the father of the groom is quite a woodworker. I thought I might offer up a little gift to commemorate the occasion so I ordered him a LN Bronze #4. So as not to feel left out, I ordered myself a #4 1/2 smoother, as my stable was lacking one. Both were a delight for the eyes right out of the box. Unfortunately though, the tote on the 4 1/2 had a flaw on one side. It was an inclusion of sorts, probably a pitch pocket. I shot them an email with a photo and they shipped out a replacement tote immediately with their apologies. Not that I expected less, but it's nice when a company responds like that.

As an aside, the 4 1/2 takes great shavings right out of the box. I'll spend a little time honing the blade and tweaking the mouth opening tonight and see how thin I can go.
    Let me know how the 4 1/2 works out for you. Been thinking of adding one to the stable.