As Michael Mezalick and I get into this rotary stuff before Jim's Aspire Camp, we have made a firm commitment to cut all the "stuff" we are going to preach. To this end, I have started out by showing the various blank roughing or rounding options that I am aware of.

The video below shows the short and sweet of each of these methods. Please note that my intent was to compare methods on the same blanks, with the same bits and at the same speeds to be fair to each. I used only 2 bits, with the majority done with a simple 1/2" 2 flute spiral up end mill.

Usually I construct a special purpose machine that has specs above what an OEM would have. Not so in this case, as affordable NEMA 23 motors and an inexpensive 5 amp drive system was used. If you watch carefully you will notice that I am pushing the cuts about as fast as they can go.

Also note that this is an attempt to quantify and compare speed, not quality. You should be aware that they are inversely proportional. This and some soon to come, will show as many ways to reduce rotary machining time where possible to allow time for the time consuming 3D portions of the cutting, if needed.

More to come in the following weeks before the Camp.
Enjoy: https://youtu.be/WpLfE6kn0j4

The machine is based on the Jet 122vs with stand. Fully supported linear rails and ballscrews. Porter Cable 1.75 hp router. 5 amp 4 channel drive. System control is currently designed for WinCNC as it has the most elegant control options, but this system (with DB25 connection) is close to plug and play with Mach, LinuxCNC, UCCNC, Planet and others. Optional DB37 to DB25 adapter required for ShopBot. Not all features are supported by all control systems. Complete assembled and tested systems available as are kits for standard and extended lengths.
For more info email: GCnC411@gmail.com