Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would Like Input On Whether Cole Jaws Make Sense For Me

I've used cole jaws for several years and like them very much though I do believe it's a question of to each his own to some extent. I've made 'extensions' for jaws so the size is limited to my lathe swing itself. That said...I've also done jam chucks and 'donut' presses to hold my pieces to turn the bottom and though I prefer my cole jaws I do believe it's more of what you're comfortable with and the right tool for the job.

I also happen to have a Jet 1221VS and a Nova G3 chuck. I've been using the 12" version of the Modern Longworth Chuck for several months now and have been very pleased with it. I considered a set of Cole jaws at the time, but decided against them because I didn't want to have to hassle screwing on and unscrewing the four jaws every time I wanted to finish the foot of a bowl. With the ML, I can (literally) pop it on and off the lathe in a few seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by John Grace View Post
    I've used cole jaws for several years and like them very much though I do believe it's a question of to each his own to some extent. I've made 'extensions' for jaws so the size is limited to my lathe swing itself. That said...I've also done jam chucks and 'donut' presses to hold my pieces to turn the bottom and though I prefer my cole jaws I do believe it's more of what you're comfortable with and the right tool for the job.
    For a bit I thought I was the only one. I have a chuck dedicated to my Cole jaws. However I think I would really like a vacuum chuck instead.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I also have a chuck that is dedicated to flat jaws and can be extended to cover the entire swing of my Jet 1221. It covers everything I do very well. Finishing the bottom of bowls is a breeze.
    As with everything in this vortex, it all depends on what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by John Grace View Post
    I've used cole jaws for several years and like them very much though I do believe it's a question of to each his own to some extent. I've made 'extensions' for jaws so the size is limited to my lathe swing itself.

I'm with John, and I packed up my lathe's swing from 12" to just under 19" and added extending plates to the Cole plates that accommodated bowls and platters up to almost 18". In my experience, Cole jaws are fast to use and are very versatile for a variety of rim shapes and sizes; I rarely if ever needed to bring the tail stock center up to help hold the work and never threw a bowl, but of course you can't be super aggressive with your cuts.

just like so many things cole jaws have there place, I like mine(psi large jaws and jumbo jaws) they go out to I think 17 inches. but as just about everything else reasonable care must be used. We all know people that will break anything you give them to use.

Quote Originally Posted by david privett View Post
    We all know people that will break anything you give them to use.
    I broke an anvil once.
    I also have and use PSI's large and Jumbo jaws, never had a problem with them and I have returned some pretty out of round pieces to the lathe to finish off the bottom.
    Just exercise caution and common sense and it's alllllll good.

Vacuum has replaced most applications for the cole jaws for me. Finishing off the bottoms of vases is about the only use I have for them anymore and I'm spying one of the rubber chucky gizmos for doing these.
    Carter Hollow 13.jpg
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

As I return my dried rough turned bowls I use my Oneway Jumbo and Mega jumbo jaws, I also have the small sizes that I use on the Jet 1014 and the slightly larger size for my Delta 46-460.

My vacuum chuck just doesn’t get used for these warped pieces, but pretty well all of them get held with the Jumbo jaws, often with some extra wedges to prevent the piece from wobbling.
    The small and light wedges are just taped to the jaws, if I need larger ones I use screws to keep them from flying off.

Also no help from the tailstock (large lathe hasn’t one outboard where I turn all my larger pieces) so returning the recess is the first thing I do, and then very often also return the outside while it sits in the Jumbo jaws, takes some care to do that.

I also still have roughouts that I turned years ago, before I had my chucks and used my faceplate to hold the blanks (no waste block either) so for those I use other ways to turn the piece true and then can use the Jumbo jaws to turn out the screw holes and make a recess, pictures help to show, so here are a couple where I return some old dry Apple roughouts.

Also a picture that shows the soft touch of the Jumbo jaw holding a finished bowl to finish the foot, works fine.

Here are two different Applewood bowls that had warped some, on the first one I returned the recess and also returned the outside while held in the Jumbo jaws, the second one had screw holes and no recess, so turned away the screw holes and made that into the recess to hold the bowl when returning the inside.
    Spalted Applewood bowl.jpg Spalted Apple bowl.jpg

This old Apple bowl had still the chain-sawn base with the screw holes, so I first flattened the top edge and turned a inside straight face to be able to then hold it with the Jumbo jaws and turn the screw holes away and make a recess to hold and return the bowl, sometimes it takes another step to get there, no production turner, and I have the time.
    Alternate holding.jpg Apple bowl.jpg

Returned and finished this Black Walnut bowl, then held it in the Jumbo jaws to finish the base, holds well with no damage to the bowl or finish.
    soft touch hold.jpg

So yes Jumbo jaws can be a good way to hold your turnings, though you better have a soft touch and know what you are doing
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 05-06-2016 at 1:25 PM.
    Have fun and take care

Would like input on whether cole jaws make sense for me...

cole jaws.jpghot glue.jpg

If you plan on doing segmented work, I use Cole Jaws a lot for leveling one side of the layer if it is thick enough.

If it is too thin (less than the bumpers) or too thick (judgment call), then hot glue with supports like I show.

I don't find it difficult at all to use Cole Jaws, but then maybe doing the segmented work I do, I have more patience on set-up than some people (grin)

I wouldn't trust them for a larger bowls, though, I would use a jamb chuck, and even hot glue a couple spots if I wasn't certain it was tight, and bring your tailstock up as others suggest for the added assurance.

Thanks Leo for a detailed explanation of how you handle finishing the base of bowls along with a great accompanying pictorial.

I must now confess that a growing number of turners on this site are in fact successfully using Cole or flat jaws. I did make a jam chuck based on early responses but am rethinking whether the pull of the vortex to purchase Cole jaws will win out.

As a new turner I can now clearly see how addictive this hobby is.

You can also use longer bolts to hold the rubber grippers (or shop-made grippers) for bowl rims that have to be held higher than right at the jaw plates.

For holding things on a lathe in general, there's a very good book called Fixtures and Chucks for Woodturning: Everything You Need to Know to Secure Wood on Your Lathe by Doc Green, it's around $17 on Amazon. He pulls together information that's spread all over the place, good illustrations and practicums you can conduct to hone your skills. I loaned my copy to one of our chapter members, and he bought 3 copies to give to friends. It's a good-un.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    You can also use longer bolts to hold the rubber grippers (or shop-made grippers) for bowl rims that have to be held higher than right at the jaw plates.
    If you look at the last picture you can see that I stacked the buttons to get high enough to hold the rim of that bowl, as these buttons have metal centers they do stack and sit securely on top of each other, and yes you could go a little taller yet, but you do have to take the strength of the rather thin bolts in consideration when holding heavier pieces when going farther out.
    Have fun and take care

Dom, I'm a relatively new turner, and I wouldn't want to be without my Cole jaws. They make turning so much more enjoyable, and you're not always frigging around with jam chucks. The thing about Cole jaws, is that they should be on a dedicated chuck IMO. My first set were bought from another turner, they were a small set of jaws. They helped me get so much better results on bowl bottoms, that I bought a large set for larger items. Yes, they can be a bit dangerous at times, but that all depends upon how you use them. Bottom line, get a set, you won't regret it.
    Len