Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oscillating Edge Belt Sander ~ Which Make/Model?

Oscillating Edge Belt Sander ~ Which Make/Model?

Good day to you all. I’m very interested to hear any opinions and/or advice on selecting an oscillating edge belt sander. Do any of you have experience with the Vega? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

oscillating is nice for smaller belts. Not strictly necessary for a sander with a 4' + platen. I used the rigid 4x24" belt / spindle sander for years and still recommend it. But, now i have a crouch 6x108 non - oscillating. I have the table set at a diagonal, so i'm using most of the belt. I have no problem with the sandpaper loading

Not a particularly precise machine. Go for a Grizzly. Along with great value, you get the Best Customer Service in the biz.

You want a machine with a heavy, straight, and stiff platen. If the platen is concave or convex ( or has twist ) you have lost most of the usefulness of the machine. Table must be stout but trunnions must be massive enough not to deflect when table is angled. My platen is 7" but i wish it were 8-9" high. Dave

I have the Grizzly G0564 and love it.

I would not have an edge sander without the oscillating function. I have the Jet OES-80CS (6x89). I am not thrilled with the fit and finish but it runs just fine. Believe it or not it was the cheapest OES on the market at the time.

I just purchased the Jet. I find I use it more than I thought I would. I am pleased with everything but the dust collection.

I really appreciate all the great feedback so far. Joe mentioned dust collection. From looking at the different machines and seeing the dust collection ports, I could see that being a challenge. How do you Grizzley owners feel about the dust collection on those units? Thanks!

I had a Grizzly G0512 (6" x 80" non-oscillating) and only used it a few times before selling it. I had a hard time getting it set up perfectly, but that was essentially a 1 time issue. But i also had a hard time introducing wood perfectly perpendicular and keeping perpendicular - I tended to slightly round the ends, particularly as the dust behind the trailing edge built up from being carried away from the leading edge. Oscillation would definitely have helped there. Dust collection was medicore.

It just wasn't the right tool for me. But I love my small Ridgid sander and use it all the time with a home-built dust collection system. I still keep a big eraser block nearby to help clear the paper but don't need to use it very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pleas View Post
    I had a Grizzly G0512 (6" x 80" non-oscillating) and only used it a few times before selling it. I had a hard time getting it set up perfectly, but that was essentially a 1 time issue. But i also had a hard time introducing wood perfectly perpendicular and keeping perpendicular - I tended to slightly round the ends, particularly as the dust behind the trailing edge built up from being carried away from the leading edge. Oscillation would definitely have helped there. Dust collection was medicore.

It just wasn't the right tool for me. But I love my small Ridgid sander and use it all the time with a home-built dust collection system. I still keep a big eraser block nearby to help clear the paper but don't need to use it very often.
    Another vote for the Ridgid if a small machine will work for you. It might not hold up for industrial duty, but is great for hobby shops. It is a good deal for around $200 at HD.

Steve

I have the Ridgid as well. Definitely a hobby level tool. I purchased three before I found one with reasonably flat table. It is great for Cub Scout type projects and ok at shaping smaller furniture parts. Dust collection is marginal. Great warranty. If I have the need at some point I may upgrade to a larger floor standing unit.

I recently bought a used Progress 6"x108" non-oscillating edge sander when the shop I used to work for splurged on a Powermatic 9"x138" oscillating model. They love it, but at $5k they ought to. Grizzly makes a very similar model for considerably less- not sure what they leave out. We used to struggle with the Progress unit until I tuned it up (shimmed the platen flat and the table square). Now with a vfd it works very nicely for me. I just sanded the inside edges of a batch of square edged cabinet doors prior to assembly with excellent results with just a 220# belt, no burning at 35 hz (about 2200 ft/min). The dust collection is decent. So you can do well with a solid used non-oscillating unit like mine or a Crouch. I tried three Ridgid units and returned them all because of excessive vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    You want a machine with a heavy, straight, and stiff platen. If the platen is concave or convex ( or has twist ) you have lost most of the usefulness of the machine. Table must be stout but trunnions must be massive enough not to deflect when table is angled. My platen is 7" but i wish it were 8-9" high. Dave
    I'll buy that edge sander from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I'll buy that edge sander from you.

DSCN2641.jpg Oakley H48. Dave

I have had a Grizzly and a Vega and the Vega is defiantly a better sander.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006