Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next little project??

Thinking about adding storage in the lid for the wooden shoulder plane I have...
    shoulder plane.jpg
    Maybe do a fitted cavity in the lid, with a keeper or two? Have a decent 3/4" thick panel I can insert into the lid....

Due to all the rain lately, there is a creek of sorts going across the Dungeon Shop's floor.....life in a basement. Waiting on things to dry out a bit before anything else gets done...

Also, due to issues with leg cramps keeping me from using stairs, might be a day or two before this saga continues. Need to sell off a pile of spare parts, so I can buy some "missing" parts for the No.45.....including a new spur and it's bolt. Old bolt is rusted in place, will use the Easy-out as the last resort, AFTER I have the new parts in hand.

Blog Entries
    Old bolt is rusted in place, will use the Easy-out as the last resort, AFTER I have the new parts in hand.
    If you have a good drill press, you might want to try drilling it out from the back side. Often the heat generated by the drilling will break the screw loose. I have some left handed bits for this purpose. Drilling from the back side might drive the screw out with the drill bit.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have the Easy-out onhand. Awaiting the arrival of the replacements. Maybe after a few things sell of FleaBay....

Meandered down to try to get something done on the box.....resized the bottom panel. It is a glue up....Monday being what is is, I fought the clamps for quite awhile, even threw one across the shop.. finally, to stop some of the panels hijinks with flying up out of the clamps..
    bottom glued up.jpg
    THAT should put a stop to that sort of thing. Made a mess on my clean floor, too!
    shavings.jpg
    Well, all of them had to come from...somewhere.
    rebate planes.jpg
    Ah yes, rebate cutting to house the bottom panel...whenever it deigns to come out of the clamps. Hopefully, I can use those clamps an quite a few more, to glue up the four sides. Then I can saw off the lid, and install the topper?
    bottom panel.jpg
    The line is where I have to remove a bit. in order that this thing will settle in up to the wedge/iron level, then I can add a keeper or two.
    plane.jpg
    That way, when I open the lid, to get a plane out, this will be out of the way of the other two on the bottom of the box. Wonder IF I'll need to add handle to lift this thing?

Having a beer, waiting on glue to cure....

Ok, the board the plane rests on is about 3/4" thick, give a shaving or two. I need to go down about 3/8" deep, in order that the plane will nestle with the wedge/iron flat on the surface. Right side will get closed up, when the lid's sides are attached. Might be a pain, but without plugging in the router, not much choice but to hog it out with a few chisels...maybe use a backsaw on the ends to start with? There is a radius to match the plane's corners. removing the iron/wedge is not an option, still need to sink the plane down into the board, as space below it in the box will be a bit tight.

You might hear a "Blue Streak" coming from Ohio other the next day or two.....enough that R. Lee Ermy will blush...might be FUN??

Surprize! No really bad cussing went on this morning. Took that panel out of the clamps and planed the glue lines...
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Stanley #4 T-13. Used a bit bigger plane to joint the edges
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Millers Falls No.11, T-2. At least to get all four ends straight and square. Set the four sides of the box into a test fit, with one clamp
    IMAG0003.jpg
    Test fit the panel....was a bit too long and too wide...sawed off the what I thought was the right amount, placed the panel in place..
    IMAG0004.jpg
    Hmmm, while it does fit, note the finger joint? Decided to go ahead and just glue up the sides,and then fit the bottom panel a bit better
    IMAG0005.jpg
    About used all my clamps up. Of course, the only area to do this sort of thing, was right over the vises. Had to use a Crochet and clamp, to plane the panel to fit
    IMAG0006.jpg
    Kind of cramped down here. Finally got the bottom panel to fit. Slipped it in under the clamps, used a few 3/4" long nails (no glue) to fasten the bottom in place
    IMAG0007.jpg
    And just let it sit for a while, Lunchtime, anyway. Let it cure from the afternoon, as the Boss needs something done in the backyard. A Storage shed/tent needs built. Then we can hide some bikes, the mower, and anything else she wants to.

Might get to go to the shop later today, I hope.

Gingerly took the box out of the clamps, nothing flew apart. Turned the box over, so it sits right side up. Test fitted the two planes that will go into the bottomof this box
    IMAG0001.jpg
    Everything fits. Now, since that area around the vises is clear, time to cut a stopped rebate, or is it a double stopped rebate?
    IMAG0002.jpg
    Two Forstner bit koles, drill to the depth I needed
    IMAG0006.jpg
    Chiseles my way back away a bit. Back wall was cut with the chisel. Made a knife line, and a knife wall, along the two sides. Backsawn to depth. More chisel work, to hog out the rest, getting chips all over my clean floor.
    IMAG0007.jpg
    Finally got the "floor" almost flat in the recess. Brought out the longest paring chisel I have. I don't have a #71 router plane, so this will just have to do
    IMAG0008.jpg
    Then a test fit of the plane that will set in here ( this is the underside of the lid we are working on)
    IMAG0009.jpg
    Then some bandsaw work to cut two keepers out of walnut scraps I had on had
    IMAG0010.jpg
    There is a counter-bored hole in each, to hold a screw. Since the "open" side will be right against the side of the lid, these will need to rotate
    IMAG0011.jpg
    So I can get the plane out when I need it.

Letting the glue cure a while longer, before I saw the lid part off the bottom half. Maybe tomorrow,I might be ready to add some hinges?

Will try to split off the top today. Might just saw it. Not sure IF it would fit through the bandsaw, might just handsaw saw it. Need to build keepers to keep the bottom two planes from banging around in there, in case someone want to "shake the box".

Maybe after Lunch....

This is about complete, I think...
    IMAG0014.jpgIMAG0011.jpg
    Even got a coat of the "Brew" applied..
    IMAG0015.jpg
    First coat, anyway. Will go back later, and work with a second coat.
    Need to find a latch for the front, as well.

Needs a latch. I went back down to the shop, gave the Brew a wipe down. The "gap" showing on the left end, has been fixed. Block plane to level the high side down to match.

Thinking this could use a label, as well as the 45 did. Stanley made that #78 for wards. Stanley also made that #39. I seem to recall that Stanley also bought out Ohio Tool Co.?? Maybe a "Stanley Tools" label on the lid?

Printer and I are not on speaking terms right now. maybe pick up a thin brass sheet. I have a Dremel, and a few engraving bit for it. Might make my own metal label?

Coat of Poly Gloss is now drying on the box. Did not do the inside, though.

The box, with the planes, weighs a "ton". I might also get a few brass corner items. Just plain ones, no need to get too fancy..

Ok, I'll post a few photos of the finished box....time to start the next project, anyway.
    front.jpg
    We now have a latch
    back.jpg
    Smallest screws I had, and they were phillips. Hey, they came with the hinges..
    end.jpg
    One end had the be block planed down a bit, to close the gap on the other end.
    Now has one coat of Poly Gloss, rubbed out with 0000 steel wool.
    opened.jpg
    Might get a chain or a bracket, to hold the lid like this.

Fun little, simple project to do.

Next on the "to-do" list?
    IMG_20160418_131104.jpg
    I am supposed to be building a rocker, and this will be a pattern to use. Too, danged cheap to spend the $68+tax...so I'll just build one. It will keep me out of the taverns, at any rate..

Got two rear leg blanks resawn, from a Pine 4x4x4' blank.
    IMAG0008.jpg
    The task at hand is to turn those almost square blanks into round ones. @ 48" long, they are about a foot longer than my lathe can handle. So, now it will be a matter of drawknife and spokehave. Might prove fun...

Well, ran a spokeshave for awhile, and these two things for awhile
    IMAG0003.jpg
    Until I had ONE leg about done
    IMAG0007.jpg
    One down, one to go. At least the front two legs will fit in my lathe.
    Eyeballed to get things round..
    IMAG0005.jpg
    Almost there...